Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Maybe somebody here knows

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 01:45:48 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Hawke" wrote in message
How do you get the steering wheel off an old CJ5 Jeep? I have a '74 CJ5
that I want to put a new steering wheel on. I have a wheel puller but it
doesn't work on steering wheels this old. I've tried to find out a
method
for getting the wheel off when there are no holes in the steering wheel
screw into. But I'm stuck and so far nobody seems to know how to take
off
the old steering wheels. So I thought I would give it a shot here.
Anyone
know how you get the steering wheel of an old Jeep when a conventional
wheel puller doesn't work? Oh, and I've already tried the rubber mallet
the back of the wheel method. That wouldn't do it either.

Hawke

Put as much upward pressure as you can on it with your knees, put a brass
or
AL block on the shaft and run an air hammer on it with a bumping or blunt
chisel. It'll vibrate right off...maybe.

That's how I always did it. I'd leave the nut half on the shaft so it
kept from hitting me in the face when it came. One hand was used on
the impact hammer, one hand lifted on the wheel, and one knee under
the wheel, attempting to balance the pull. It usually took under a
second to pop loose, but I had a good, long-piston CP hammah. I did
front end work and it took every pound of hammer force to loosen some
of that stuff.

As I was warning another mechanic pulling a wheel one time, it hit him
in the face. I missed saving him by || that much! The red mark on
his (luckily unbroken) nose and black eyes were fun topics for weeks.
(I learned with a near miss.)

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.

Hawk needs a liberal solution. He should hire a union guy and pay him
overtime, workers comp, vacation, sick time, drug rehab, job training and
monthly cheese.