Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Mixing small amounts of 2-cycle fuel

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 01:05:19 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

All the gasoline here, regardless of grade, is E-10 gasahol. It doesn't
last as long in storage as 100% gasoline. So for 2-cycle fuel (which I
don't use a lot of) I've started using a shotglass when I mix it. The
shotglass is graduated at .5, 1.0, and 1.5 ounces. I mix 1.5 ounces of
good quality 2-cycle oil with .55 gallons of 89 octane gasoline for a
50:1 mix (it's just a little rich.) I don't add any Stabil, but when
it's 2 or 3 months old I pour whatever is left in the 2-cycle gas can
into my truck. Then I mix a fresh batch next time I need some.

I got tired of mixing up a whole gallon at a time and having it go
stale. Then I used it anyway, and it would eventually gum up my
carburetors.

I'm currently using Castrol (or maybe it's Penzoil) 100:1 rated TC oil
in a quart bottle. When that runs out, I may switch to QuickSilver PWC
(from Mercury Marine) synthetic oil -- the TC stuff, not TC-W3.

Now if I could just come up with a good method of remembering when I
last filled all my gas cans, so I know how old the gasoline is. (do you
think a blackboard in the garage would work?) I use Stabil in the
6-gallon cans for the generator, and dump them in the truck and refill
about twice a year. It's the little cans that I can't keep track of.

BTW, I buy one 2-gallon can of 91+ octane Premium gasoline in the spring
for the first tank or two of gas in the mower and tiller (etc.) They
seem to start easier that way. When that can is empty, I switch to
Regular for the rest of the season. By then they are either running
good, or they are not going to run good 'til I get them tuned-up.

Bob

Too much oil in the mix is killing your engine. It causes excessive
carbon build up which will eventually break the rings and cause other
problems.

Walmart sells what looks like a large plastic hypodermic syringe for
accurately mixing small quantities.

Also note that "marine" two stroke oil is not interchangeable with the
stuff for air cooled engines, which run hotter. Different
characteristics for different operating temps.