Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Maybe somebody here knows

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:17:58 +1000, "Chas" wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message
How do you get the steering wheel off an old CJ5 Jeep? I have a '74 CJ5
that I want to put a new steering wheel on. I have a wheel puller but it
doesn't work on steering wheels this old. I've tried to find out a method
for getting the wheel off when there are no holes in the steering wheel to
screw into. But I'm stuck and so far nobody seems to know how to take off
the old steering wheels. So I thought I would give it a shot here. Anyone
know how you get the steering wheel of an old Jeep when a conventional
wheel puller doesn't work? Oh, and I've already tried the rubber mallet to
the back of the wheel method. That wouldn't do it either.

Hawke

Find a short bolt & nut the same size and thread as the steering shaft.
Remove the steeling wheel retaining nut. Next fit the bolt & nut to the
steering shaft with half thread of each into the nut. Tighten the two
together. Strike the top of the bolt with a 2 lb hammer. Several blows
might be required, but it will loosen the steering wheel. I am assuming the
steeting wheel has a tapered fit.

It's a tapered spline.