Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Maybe somebody here knows

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:05:59 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

How do you get the steering wheel off an old CJ5 Jeep? I have a '74 CJ5
that I want to put a new steering wheel on. I have a wheel puller but it
doesn't work on steering wheels this old. I've tried to find out a method
for getting the wheel off when there are no holes in the steering wheel to
screw into. But I'm stuck and so far nobody seems to know how to take off
the old steering wheels. So I thought I would give it a shot

I had the exact same issue with my tractor. I ended up building a split
collar that bolted on below the wheel. Then a standard three lever puller
took it right off.

Similar to these split pullers Harbor Freight has on sale
this week?

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=3979

"Large Bearing Separator

Use With Two-Jaw Pullers and Shop Presses

Designed for use on jobs where space does not permit the use
of puller jaws directly behind the part to be removed.
-Solid steel
-Black industrial finish

Capacity: 4-3/8''; Length: 8-1/2''; Threads: 5/8''-18

ITEM 3979"

Coupon good thru 08/03/09, $11.99 See:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html.../images/31.jpg

--