Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_20_] Tim[_20_] is offline

Default Maybe somebody here knows

"Hawke" wrote in message
How do you get the steering wheel off an old CJ5 Jeep? I have a '74 CJ5
that I want to put a new steering wheel on. I have a wheel puller but it
doesn't work on steering wheels this old. I've tried to find out a method
for getting the wheel off when there are no holes in the steering wheel to
screw into. But I'm stuck and so far nobody seems to know how to take off
the old steering wheels. So I thought I would give it a shot here. Anyone
know how you get the steering wheel of an old Jeep when a conventional
wheel puller doesn't work? Oh, and I've already tried the rubber mallet to
the back of the wheel method. That wouldn't do it either.

Put the nut back on, but only exactly flush with the top of the steering
shaft.

Put something in the floor board if necessary that will allow you to lift
the steering wheel with your knees, using your calf muscles.

Lay a flat piece of steel across the nut and rap with a hammer.

This works often, but not always. Be careful to go slowly at first, checking
the nut to make sure it still spins easily by hand. If you start to detect
any distortion, give up and go shopping for pullers.

You might also consider rigging a dent knocker to the wheel. If you have
one, and you can rig it without too much trouble.