Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default killing pigeons

"cm" wrote in message
I need to kill some pigeons. Any ideas. I could care less if it's illegal.

I have tried ant poison, and decon rat/mouse killer as well as automotive
anti freeze.

Thanks,

cm

I know you are a smart reasonable man. It's just that I am smarter and more
reasonable (and experienced with pigeons).

So, here's my take on being a contractor where I was called on for pigeon
control.

First major point is that killing them is not the answer. If you could
miraculously eliminate EVERY SINGLE pigeon there now, more would move back
in by sunset tomorrow.

Three things are necessary.

ONE Remove all nests and nestlings from wherever they are now. Parents
will always come back to babies, and new couples will be attracted to the
scent of nests.

TWO Clean as much as you can the nesting area, using bleach, 409, Soylent
Green, Whatever you can use that will clean somewhat, but not leave big
streaks that are more unsightly then the nests.

THREE Block off the nesting areas. Netting, hardware cloth, sheet metal,
whatever. They really do not want a perch, which only makes them pests for
the day. They want nesting sites that make them pests for weeks. They're
apartment shopping.

I have gotten rid of major infestations of pigeons. If you study pigeon
behavior, it is the nesting part of it that is the lynchpin. Eliminate
that, and you may have some stopping by for a while (and that will diminish
with time), but the nest is the KEY element. Block off the access to the
nests, and the pigeons will go elsewhere. It can be a PITA and a couple of
weeks work, but two years down the line, and you look up there, and there's
no pigeons, you will know you did the right thing. THEY'RE NOT LOOKING FOR
A PERCH, THEY'RE LOOKING FOR AN APARTMENT.

MHO from years of dealing with pigeons. YMMV, let me know how it works.

Steve