Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default what size fitting for sink toilet connection

Philip5malin wrote:
The on-off-valve is an old type, probably used in 1965, chrome color
with a welded chrome flex tube 6" up. It may not be aluminum, may be
chromed plated copper flexible , with ribs on it all the way , allow
it to flex. The end of it has a compression female fitting. You
cannot find these anymore. The new on-off-valve just have a
compression fitting for you to install a steel braised flex hose on
it. I cannot tell whether the female fitting is 5/8 or 1/2, too
small a close call. How can I tell?

Take a picture and post it somewhere--this makes very little sense.

I've been around since well before '65 ( ) and _never_ seen a welded
tube on a cutoff valve...

You're trying to measure the wrong thing anyway, it seems--the fittings
will be for whatever tubing size is, not the threaded portion of the
fitting.

Why not simply replace the valve as well if it really is something unique?

But, give a picture for folks to look at and I'd say odds are good
you'll get answers. Or, as somebody else said, take the pieces-parts to
a plumbing supply house other than the borg and they're bound to fix you
up as well...

In regards to the latter, the borgs/Ace/etc. basically only carry common
stock that turns over rapidly. The plumbing supply folks will still
have stuff for the no-longer-common if indeed that's the case w/ what
you have.