Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_4_] JC[_4_] is offline

Default threaded wire connectors

"JC" wrote in message

"Twayne" wrote in message
"JC" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Aaron Fude
wrote:

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. Yes, I meant
stranded wire.

But to everyone who no-no'd covering the junction box with
drywall,
what
do you suggest I do about this junction box:

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/prod...px?sku=2319080

Don't worry about it. The Code requires that all junction boxes
be
"accessible". In this case, the junction box is "accessible" by
removing the
fixture can from its frame.

I suspect this restriction is so the connections are easy to
locate
if there is a fire. But, as a volunteer fireman, I can assure you
that
during the fighting of a fire we are not going to be looking for a
junction box as one of the first things we do is shut the main
power.
I think this is just another "feelgood" clause inserted by some
desk
jockey.

Not at all; you should read codes and avoid helping anyone with
house inspections.

I have the latest code book. 2008 I believe. Could you please point
out the page that tells me that the point in question was NOT
inserted by some desk jockey? If you can, I promise, I'll never help
anyone with house inspections.

Correction, I have the NEC 2005 (NFPA 70). I might have a 2008
handbook or something. But, just open up the front cover and read it
for yourself. Desk jockeys, mostly desk jockey's with nothing more
than OPINIONS! I mean, come on fella, can you give me a good reason
why a National Electrical Code would have a disclaimer of liability
for those that follow the friggin code? Geez. They sit around a big
room and all of a sudden someone says something like this, "hey, you
know what? My nephew, who once worked for an electricians helper, said
that it sure was inconvenient trying to track down those dang junction
boxes when they are hidden inside walls. Why don't you guys make that
illegal?". And as they've never seen an electric wire in their lives
say "sure, what the hell".

I can find a hidden junction box within minutes. With a magnet if it's
metal and with a multi tester (a bit more difficult) if it's plastic.
How hard do you think it is to trace from one outlet to the next,
along a wall? It's not foolproof but it's very doable. And once again,
if it's for safety, it's just a joke because I'll guarantee you, no
fireman is going to wonder around looking for junction boxes. So we
come right back to what I said originally, it's a feelgood reg for
convenience ONLY!