Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default HF Flooring Nailer - Comments Anyone?

Red Green wrote:
May have to get a nailer in the future for a one house job. At that
location in another state there is no Harbor Freight outlet. May
consider buying it in advance.

The only time I used a nailer was the manual kind on some 3/4 T&G
like 25 years ago. How do these work? I see they are air but include
a "slugging hammer" as the HF description calls it. I assume hitting
the black button with the hammer is what triggers the nail driven by
air? I mean if the air is driving the nail why do you need to "slug"
it? 25 years ago the long hours of bending and fully swing slugging
to drive were bad enough. I can imagine at 2x+ that age. I mean I'm
pretty limber and conditioned but I certainly prefer to work smarter,
hence air, so what's with the slugging hammer?

Anyone have this particular tool? Pros and cons appreciated. Jams?,
will it use widely available nails/cleats like Bostitch?, fully
drives fasteners?, anything else? I have a pancake 150psi compressor
which should be fine since it states "Maximum air operating pressu
100 PSI".

1. The nail is not driven directly by air - else you'd essentially have a
pellet gun. The nailer drives a piston which in turn drives the nail.

2. PSI is one of TWO necessary qualifications; the other is CFM (cubic feet
per minute). Your compressor might not be up to the task in that it can't
provide sufficient volume of air. Even the little tire compressors that plug
into the cigarette lighter could probably reach 100psi but obviously won't
work as a nail driver. If your compressor cannot provide sufficient volume,
you might drive one nail then have to wait for a couple of minutes for the
compressor to catch up.

3. If you're worried about jamming, dependability, etc., buy two. When you
finish the job, return one for a refund. My guess is that the tool will work
swell out of the box - and deficiencies it has will be because of
wear-and-tear.