Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] surfergirl@qcasales.com is offline

Default Soap Scum Removal ????

On Jun 27, 10:26*am, Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Ditto on the EDFRED for this purpose - there are uses reviews posted.

How to clean shower door? Look at the science of soap scum and hard
water stains. Think back to high school chemistry.

1.There is a mineral buildup that needs a mild acid to neutralize. Not
pool acid, please! Phosphoric acid is relatively very mild, and used
in many cola beverages in small amounts. It also does not have a
crappy smell, which is a factor for a lot of us. If you have any
rust issues they should be handled too. (I think Navel Jelly rust
remover is jellied phosphoric acid.)
2. Also you have soap residue that needs a surfactant. The presence of
phosphoric acid also probably helps against the soap. (Acid
neutralizing the alkaline soap)

If you check a product's material safety data sheet (MSDS) you usually
can see what is in the product if the company is transparent about
it. The product the poster mentioned has their MSDS here
http://edfredcorp.com/Tech%20Info/Tech%20intro.html. It shows a
healthy does of both 1. & 2., which is why the other poster here had
good results. If you can find a product that has similar ingredients
to this, science (yippee!) will do the job for you.

I have never had much luck with vinegar, lemon juice or many of the
new "green" cleaners.I am too impatient and want to get the job done
and over with in as little time as possible.