Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soap Scum Removal ????

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Brian wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the
problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've
tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone
know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as
white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

A well-aimed brick, followed by a new piece of glass should do the
trick. Then do two things: Switch to a liquid shower soap (very
convenient because a tablespoonful in a wet washcloth will do your whole
body, and does not leave scum like bar soap) and squeegee the shower
(takes 30 seconds) when you're done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of
the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a
rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does
anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum

Didja try CLR ?

I've found this stuff to work better than CLR:

http://edfredcorp.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

A little baking soda on a damp cloth or just my hand works fine for me.
Soap scum is waxy stuff that results when calcium or magnesium in
water replaces sodium or potassium in soap. Without much scrubbing, the
sodium in the baking soda can replace the magnesium or calcium in the
soap scum, turning it back into soap that will rinse away.

Adding salt to the baking soda makes a more abrasive mixture which may
help if the soap scum deposit is thick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Textured or smooth glass? If smooth, scrape it off with razor blade
scraper. Then use Scrubbing Bubbles...best stuff there is for cleaning
bath/showers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:26:25 -0400, Brian wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Try the DOW scrubbing bubbles. Spray it on, wait 2-3 hours, scrub
with a brush dipped in household ammonia, rinse. You may have to
repeat the cleaning. Use a daily after-shower spray product, any
brand will do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:26:19 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled Brian , to say:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:59:59 -0700, "Rudy" wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the
problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock.
I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone
know of a chemical that
will cut the scum

Didja try CLR ?

Yup...............

How about DW-40?

oh, just kidding

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 1:26*pm, Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Use a hardwater castile soap. You will feel cleaner and there will be
a lot less soap scum.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 10:29*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 27, 1:26*pm, Brian wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Use a hardwater castile soap. You will feel cleaner and there will be
a lot less soap scum.

Jimmie

Forgot to leave the name, Kirks Castile soap. Its not everywhere but I
could always find it in OKC where the water there will knock the
bottom out of the bucket its so hard.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Daniels" wrote in message
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust.

Does anyone
know of a chemical that
will cut the scum

Didja try CLR ?

Yup...............

How about DW-40?

oh, just kidding

Don't laugh, it may just work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 01:50:03 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 22:23:00 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:26:25 -0400, Brian wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

If you don't mind working with pool acid it will do the trick. I have
taken shower doors from one of my rentals outside and laid them on the
grass and poured pool acid on them and scrubbed with a long handle
hard bristle broom like you'd use around the house to sweep stuff into
a dust pan. You want to be careful not to get acid on yourself, wear
eye protection, etc. But it will work and fairly quickly. It didn't
even seem to hurt the grass. Hose the area down well when done.

The problem with that is hydrochloric acid eats the aluminum frame of
the door.

That's what I thought would happen but I was surprised that it did not
seem to do so. These were so bad it was either acid wash them or
replace them. Keep in mind that the frame was no longer shiny to
start with so maybe whatever "eating" it doesn't really doesn't make
it look much different. The ones at my home are frame less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? (Or one of the store brand
knock-offs). I've had good success with that on soap scum.It's cheap
enough to try, even if it ends up not doing much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
[...]

vinegar works well too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 10:26*am, Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Ditto on the EDFRED for this purpose - there are uses reviews posted.

How to clean shower door? Look at the science of soap scum and hard
water stains. Think back to high school chemistry.

1.There is a mineral buildup that needs a mild acid to neutralize. Not
pool acid, please! Phosphoric acid is relatively very mild, and used
in many cola beverages in small amounts. It also does not have a
crappy smell, which is a factor for a lot of us. If you have any
rust issues they should be handled too. (I think Navel Jelly rust
remover is jellied phosphoric acid.)
2. Also you have soap residue that needs a surfactant. The presence of
phosphoric acid also probably helps against the soap. (Acid
neutralizing the alkaline soap)

If you check a product's material safety data sheet (MSDS) you usually
can see what is in the product if the company is transparent about
it. The product the poster mentioned has their MSDS here
http://edfredcorp.com/Tech%20Info/Tech%20intro.html. It shows a
healthy does of both 1. & 2., which is why the other poster here had
good results. If you can find a product that has similar ingredients
to this, science (yippee!) will do the job for you.

I have never had much luck with vinegar, lemon juice or many of the
new "green" cleaners.I am too impatient and want to get the job done
and over with in as little time as possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote in message
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors.

[snip]
Does anyone know of a chemical that will cut the scum?

Kaboom, Dow's Scrubbing Bubbles, and Limeaway all work for me, depending on
the time I have available. I soak the showerhead while wiping down the two
clear glass doors with Kaboom. Usually takes 10-15 minutes work. If I have a
little more time, I use Dow Scrubbing Bubbles because it is my all-purpose
cleaner. Limeaway is the Big Bertha. I only bring that out on REALLY bad
build-ups.

Kaboom
https://www.officialtvwebsite.com/ka...D=265773304012
(When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below
http://tinyurl.com/krf6an )

Dow Scrubbing Bubbles
http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/

Limeaway
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...7zoyk3zy mq_e
(When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below
http://tinyurl.com/nn96tb )

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:17:00 -0700, "The Ranger" cuhulain _
wrote:

Brian wrote in message
.. .
[...]

All of these are good. I use the Dow product mentioned and allow the
foam to work for a few hours. Then scrub the surface with a brush
dipped in household ammonia after the soaking period, and rinse with
cold water. Use lots of ventilation. I can clean the shower/tub in
less than 1 minute, all while holding my breath. It helps to use a
daily shower spray. Use of acids is not recommended as it can damage
metal parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote in message
[snip]
All of these are good. I use the Dow product mentioned and allow the
foam to work for a few hours. Then scrub the surface with a brush
dipped in household ammonia after the soaking period, and rinse with
cold water. Use lots of ventilation. I can clean the shower/tub in
less than 1 minute, all while holding my breath. It helps to use a
daily shower spray. Use of acids is not recommended as it can damage
metal parts.

Thanks, Phish, for the step-saver scrubbing foam and ammonia. I'll have
to give it a try using my breather (until I'm able to minimize my wasted
movements.) I've got all the necessary chemicals.

I've found the daily shower spray (also by Dow) is only a delayer not an
actual cure. I get the same length of delay from simply squeegying the water
from the walls and glass. shrug But, as proven by Phish's experiences,
YMMV.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Brian wrote in message
[...]

Scrubbing Bubbles is a brand name for several products. The one I know
for soap scum uses an unspecified acid. Why add ammonia?

Why hold your breath? I'd be more afraid of spattering ammonia in my
eyes. Strong vapors can be irritating but exposure isn't known to be
harmful in the long run. If you don't like the vapors, you can dilute
it. Straight from the bottle it has a lot of dissolved NH3 gas.
Diluted, the ammonia is mostly NH4+, which stays in the water.

Some recommendations for treating soap scum come from cleaning kitchen
sinks or toilets. Unless one washes his hands in the kitchen and feet
in the toilet, I don't know why soap scum would appear in either place.

Simple soap scum is insoluble soap, which has a waxy feel and is hard to
see on an opaque surface. It's pretty easy to remove. Baking soda on a
wash cloth works fine for me.

If I neglect it, it yellows and can get rough like sandpaper. I think
it happens when mineral deposits accumulate on the soap scum. I've
tried Tilex ( which is hard on the skin and the vapors are harsh ),
another spray soap-scum remover, CLR (mineral-deposit remover), vinegar,
Bon Ami, and ammonia. Baking soda works best for me.

Sometimes a wash cloth will remove a yellow buildup easily. Sometimes a
plastic brush makes a big difference. Sometimes if I can't remove a
stain in a minute with a wash cloth, the baking soda will dissolve it if
I walk away for a few minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brillo pad.

Thomas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Brillo pad.

Brilliant.

And when you've scratched the glass, you'll have provided an abraded surface
for more minerals and scum to adhere to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 12:26*pm, Brian wrote:
I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

Dow Scrubbing Bubbles is a good choice. Also squeegee the doors after
every shower as recommended by another poster. Three swipes on each
door should do it, about 30 seconds to do so.

About every 2-3 months I also use Rain-X. The water just rolls off
the glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
charlie wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:26:25 -0400, Brian wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the
problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock.
I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone
know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well
as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

If you don't mind working with pool acid it will do the trick. I have

You're talking about "pool SHOCK"? Hmmm. That's CONCENTRATED bleach --
maybe basic, not acidic?

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
In article ,
charlie wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:26:25 -0400, Brian wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the
problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock.
I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does
anyone
know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as
well
as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

If you don't mind working with pool acid it will do the trick. I have

You're talking about "pool SHOCK"? Hmmm. That's CONCENTRATED bleach --
maybe basic, not acidic?

David

pool acid is not pool shock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:26:25 -0400, Brian wrote:

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the
problem is from the rotten
well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock.
I've tried every useless
bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does
anyone
know of a chemical that
will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as
well
as white vinegar..... HELP
!!!

If you don't mind working with pool acid it will do the trick. I have

You're talking about "pool SHOCK"? Hmmm. That's CONCENTRATED bleach --
maybe basic, not acidic?

David

pool acid is not pool shock.

Well, then what IS "pool shock"?

THANKS!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 8:58*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Usually concentrated chlorine. *A base, not an acid.

..
Base: In other words a 'strong' alkali?

'Javex' (Javel?) and some other domestic cleaners may be a 5% solution
of sodium hypochlorite; IIRC?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.
Base: In other words a 'strong' alkali?

'Javex' (Javel?) and some other domestic cleaners may be a 5% solution
of sodium hypochlorite; IIRC?

Also BTW.
Find it amusing when someone will say, for example, 'The acid leaked
out of the battery in my flashlight and the inside is all rusted"
etc .
Then you take the thing apart and quite clearly there is a leaking and
corroded ALKALINE cell!
Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
[...]