Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default threaded wire connectors

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I've recently realized that I don't feel comfortable making wire nut
connections with threaded wire. I can actually make a mean connection
with solid wires that professional electricians commend me on. But when
it comes to making a connection b/w the solid wires and one threaded
wire (as in a recessed light) I feel that the threaded wire loosens the
connection. It makes me especially nervous realizing that the junction
box is getting covered by drywall.

What's the trick in making a solid connection with a threaded wire?

A box of wire nuts will say, "No need to pretwist." If you make good
connections with solid wire, I guess you know it's important not to
twist the wires clockwise first, as many do.

The trouble with stranded wire is that it tends to twist clockwise as
you screw on the wire nut. You may end up with slack under the nut, and
the nut may not engage all the conductors.

One solution is to make the end of the stranded wire solid by tinning
it. Instead, I twist the conductors together counterclockwise before
applying the nut. Screwing on the nut untwists them. As they untwist,
the threads of the nut should catch them all.

I test my wire-nut connections by tugging each conductor. Sometimes I
have to try again. With stranded wire, I've found wire-nut connections
more reliable than crimped connections. I can make a good wire-nut
connection where I can't reach with both hands.

I get by with three sizes of wire nuts. B-caps are especially nice.
They have room for the spring to expand, which can mean more pressure
and friction to hold large solid conductors. Friction doesn't seem to
be such a concern with stranded conductors.