Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Varnish of my dreams--found!

"HeyBub" writes:

Nova wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

After much arduous searching, I've found it, my Xanadu, my
Shangri-la, the sine qua non of varnish. And all the time it was
available right at my little local Ace Hardware store.

snip

Better stock up. The Ace website has no knowledge of
* 276A111
* 16385
* ACE 16385
* "Varnish" (other than varnish removers)
* "Solvent-based varnish"

So I called Ace. They couldn't find it on their web site either.

Probably the situation is:
a) Ace can't ship hazardous materials, so they don't list it on
their web site, or
b) It's a discontinued item.

See:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...ds=Ace%2016385

Ha! Thanks. But it looks like the 'droid who spoke to me would know the
difference...

I was looking on this site:
http://www.acehardware.com/home/inde...d=PPC:76293361

Notice the different URLs: "acehardwaresuperstore" vs. "acehardware"

Acehardware is the "official" online store for the Ace hardware
chain. Acehardwaresuperstore is the online site of an individual
franchisee. If I remember correctly, they pre-existed the launch of
the chain's official store and were granfathered in. While Ace
franchisees are relatively independent, I don't believe that new ones
are allowed to open their own online storefronts using the Ace name.