Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default Oldest running House AC unit

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
I've got a house in Phoenix with the original Goetle AC package unit
on the roof, 3 ton. The house was built in 1971 so the unit is 38
years old. The condenser fan was replaced 4 times and an external
crankcase heater was strapped to it 25 years ago when the internal one
burned out. Anyone know of any that are older that have worked as
hard as this unit?

GE Unit installed in 1973. Only maintence each year is to clean it out,
vacuum all the junk that worked itself in during the winter, oil the fan
motor and run about 2 gallons of a water and bleach mixture onto the
evaporator tray and let it run out. Fingers crossed, but have never needed
a service call or parts replacement. No doubt that it isn't very efficient
anymore, uses more electricity than one of the newer ones---but here in
Mass, use of the AC is not a full time need and mine only runs if the
temperature and humidity get oppressive. This year we are having the
"summer that never was" and my AC has only been on two times and for a few
hours each.
MLD