Posted to alt.home.repair
hank hank is offline

Default Is there a programmable thermostat that can...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
windows open. We also have 5 indoor cats and several aquariums which would
not likely survive temperatures above 90 degrees. Case in point, two years
ago our compressor went out and it was two days before we could get it
replaced. We moved ourselves and our cats to a motel, but the aquariums
were cooked, both fish and plants. That, plus our cats were obviously
suffering in the high indoor heat.

similar to having a generator for backup in blackout or storm conditions,
why do you not have a backup window unit which would take just a few minutes
to hookup and spare yourself this kind of situation? they are cheap too.

most people where I live have couple spare portable a/c units, small enough
that they can be run via a generator and while they may not keep whole house
in the 70's, they certainly will keep sections of house close to 80 F

several of my neighbors have now installed permanent backup A/C systems
in the form of ductless heatpumps. these inverter models draw just 300-650w
of power and provide a nice and efficient backup system and even in normal
operation reduce the load on the main system. as you know, a heatpump is
simply an A/C with a reversing valve to produce both cool and heat from same
coil, no separate electric strips required.