Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt[_7_] Matt[_7_] is offline

Default Sheet-metal nibbler: pneumatic vs. hand-powered

wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:29:04 -0500, Matt
wrote:

I want to cut some sheet steel. I expect I might have to make several
feet of cuts at a time, and I might need to make ten feet of cuts in a
few months. I expect the material will be 304 stainless or similar, say
around 22 ga. (0.031 inches) give or take 20%.

Would it likely be unpleasant to use a muscle-powered nibbler? Should I
just plan on a pneumatic nibbler? Would I likely see much difference
in the finished product? I'm not set up for air tools right now, but I
could probably rent something ...

Please advise.

If they are straight cuts you can do a fairly good job with a metal
cutoff wheel in a circular saw. Be sure the nibbler you use is rated
for stainless. I broke mine on some 22 ga (316 or so). It was "kitchen
grade" whatever that is. There are actually a lot more grades than 316
and 304 but they seem to be the main benchmarks, based on whether it
is mildly magnetic or not..

Thanks guys for all the replies ... will consider ...