Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheet-metal nibbler: pneumatic vs. hand-powered

I want to cut some sheet steel. I expect I might have to make several
feet of cuts at a time, and I might need to make ten feet of cuts in a
few months. I expect the material will be 304 stainless or similar, say
around 22 ga. (0.031 inches) give or take 20%.

Would it likely be unpleasant to use a muscle-powered nibbler? Should I
just plan on a pneumatic nibbler? Would I likely see much difference
in the finished product? I'm not set up for air tools right now, but I
could probably rent something ...

Please advise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:29:04 -0500, Matt
wrote:

I want to cut some sheet steel. I expect I might have to make several
feet of cuts at a time, and I might need to make ten feet of cuts in a
few months. I expect the material will be 304 stainless or similar, say
around 22 ga. (0.031 inches) give or take 20%.

Would it likely be unpleasant to use a muscle-powered nibbler? Should I
just plan on a pneumatic nibbler? Would I likely see much difference
in the finished product? I'm not set up for air tools right now, but I
could probably rent something ...

Please advise.

This "might" be okay for occasional use on 22 gauge stainless.
Probably worth $50 to find out.

I don't think you are going to like trying to do what you propose with
a hand powered nibbler.

it might be just easier and cheaper to find someone with a shear that would
make a couple of cuts. perhaps where you're getting the metal in the first
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got a nibbler from Harbor Freight, which has served me
well. Electric plug in. No compressor needed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Matt" wrote in message
I want to cut some sheet steel. I expect I might have to
make several
feet of cuts at a time, and I might need to make ten feet of
cuts in a
few months. I expect the material will be 304 stainless or
similar, say
around 22 ga. (0.031 inches) give or take 20%.

Would it likely be unpleasant to use a muscle-powered
nibbler? Should I
just plan on a pneumatic nibbler? Would I likely see much
difference
in the finished product? I'm not set up for air tools right
now, but I
could probably rent something ...

Please advise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 1:29*pm, Matt wrote:
I want to cut some sheet steel. *I expect I might have to make several
feet of cuts at a time, and I might need to make ten feet of cuts in a
few months. *I expect the material will be 304 stainless or similar, say
around 22 ga. (0.031 inches) give or take 20%.

Would it likely be unpleasant to use a muscle-powered nibbler? *Should I
just plan on a pneumatic nibbler? * Would I likely see much difference
in the finished product? *I'm not set up for air tools right now, but I
could probably rent something ...

Ten feet of cuts in a few months is only a few inches per day. You
should be able to do that with either tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 1:29*pm, Matt wrote:
I want to cut some sheet steel. *I expect I might have to make several
feet of cuts at a time, and I might need to make ten feet of cuts in a
few months. *I expect the material will be 304 stainless or similar, say
around 22 ga. (0.031 inches) give or take 20%.

Would it likely be unpleasant to use a muscle-powered nibbler? *Should I
just plan on a pneumatic nibbler? * Would I likely see much difference
in the finished product? *I'm not set up for air tools right now, but I
could probably rent something ...

Please advise.

If you already had a compressor I would say get the Pneumatic one
otherwise I would get an elctric.

Jimmie

sheet steel nibbler andrew UK diy 9 May 14th 09 04:19 PM
Hand-powered lathe video Groomporter Woodturning 0 June 1st 08 03:09 PM
Two hand powered miter box saws [email protected] Woodworking 14 September 6th 05 06:33 AM
Looking for hand powered grinder Bob Woodworking 13 October 4th 04 04:37 AM
Metal working tools for sheet metal... slightly different take than usual John Kelly Metalworking 0 November 12th 03 01:06 PM