Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Inclusion of Clause -- Missed Deadline -- How?

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 21, 12:10 pm, "The Ranger" cuhulain _ wrote:
One of my friends just finished a bathroom remodel where the contractor
not
only finished ahead of schedule but undercost. My friend mentioned that he
always puts two clauses in any contracts; a deadline clause with
associated
penalties and an ahead of schedule clause.

I remember when we were remodeling, this wasn't something any of the
contractors would consider but we were also in a boom-economy. When I
asked
him how he gets his contractors to agree, he was cagey about it.

How do you draw up such a contract without blowing negotiations?

The Ranger

I would take deadlines all the time if my crew was reliable and I knew
I could meet it, just be fair and realistic and give extra time, the
contractor wants to finish to be paid. If someone wont accept a
deadline, look elsewhere.

It's a two edged sword...Miss a deadline and I miss the bonus and have to
pay...Meet the deadline and I get a bonus...I will do EVERTHING possible to
meet that deadline...If it means working right up to quiting time and not
cleaning up and working Sat. So be it...I WILL make it as I pointed out in
my first post....I don't get to set the deadline...It is USUALLY a move in
date that isnt negiotable....As a sub-contractor (drywall) , the genral says
you got X amount of time to get it done so I can meet my deadline and says
I'll give you X amount of money as a bonus to make it happen or lose the
bonus and pay a penalty....Haven't lost one YET ...Although the homeowners
weren't happy with me there working in the kitchen while having company for
the weekend once to make a cabinet delivery date...No place to store them
all plus a deadline looming for the general...LOL...Had to git'er
done...Nice bonus too....