Posted to rec.woodworking
StephenM[_2_] StephenM[_2_] is offline

Default Are Dovetail Joints becoming a thing of the past?

So, are dovetails going to be a tell-tale sign of the age of furniture
the same way Knapp joints are now, or is there some reason that they
will continue to be used?

There is lots of precident in architecture/design previously functional
elements becomming a part of the aesthetic domain long after their origin
purpose became moot.

By analogy, hops used to be a beer presevative, now it's a required
flavoring.

I have no doubt that maufacturers will continue to mass-produce ineligantly
proportioned DT's obscured by epoxy-coated drawer slides in "cherry-finish"
kitchen cuboards.

For me, I don't think I will ever make a dovetail again for purely
functional reasons. I've cut them by hand and I have cut them with a jig.
I'm sure that I will do it for "heirloom" work (BTW, kitchen drawers to not
quality), but certainly would not bother anymore for a shop drawer.

A lock-rabbet in conjuction with a glued-in plywood bottom creates drawer
that would only come apart by smashing the drawer to bits. That's strong
enough for my needs, it presents face grain on the front and is a whole lot
quicker to execute.

-Steve