Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_3_] Chuck[_3_] is offline

Default Plexiglas

wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:02:23 -0400, Chuck wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.
HD and other big-boxes only carry the middle part of the bell curve in
their stock. If only 4-5 people a year want it, they won't have it. Try
a local glass company that specializes in commercial work like signs,
store fronts and display cases, or look online. For one partial-size
sheet, you will pay a premium- most of these places deal in OEM lots.

Out of curiosity, what are you making or repairing?

--
aem sends...

Thanks for all the replies. I will be using it to make a few small
shelves. I considered glass but I want to shape it with my band saw.
Chuck B.

1/4 inch extruded plexiglas won't hold much weight without obvious
sagging unless it is a very short span. For shelves that will look
"straight" you probably want 1/2 inch CAST acrylic, which is also
available with a scratch resistant hardened surface.

Thanks for the addl. info. Shelves are for display of small light weight
objects. Will only be about 6" in length.