Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plexiglas

I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

HD and other big-boxes only carry the middle part of the bell curve in
their stock. If only 4-5 people a year want it, they won't have it. Try
a local glass company that specializes in commercial work like signs,
store fronts and display cases, or look online. For one partial-size
sheet, you will pay a premium- most of these places deal in OEM lots.

Out of curiosity, what are you making or repairing?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck" wrote in message
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't able
to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

Check Yellow Pages for plastics. Thats how I found some. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 21, 7:27*pm, Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA * Chuck B.

Google 'plastic sellers' and contact those in your area for names of
affiliated small quantity resellers. I recently needed a piece of
Lexan for a router base plate and Cope Plastics, the Peoria
distributor gave me the address and phone number for Custom Plastics
in Bartonville, IL. Worked out great.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Chuck wrote:

I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

ebay, or mcmaster carr.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck" wrote in message
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't able
to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

MSC or Grainger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck" wrote in message
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't able
to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

Try your local hardware store in the weatherization isle....Alot of people
still use it for storm doors and windows...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

Try your local hardware store in the weatherization isle....Alot of
people still use it for storm doors and windows...

The 36" will be the hard part. Around here the stock tops out at 32" or
34 " in one dimension. You can get narrow and tall, but not larger
squares. I was looking myself, last fall, to make inside storms that I
could tape to the casing. Finally said the heck with it before it
occurred to me to do it in 2 pieces with a taped joint in the center at
the level of the where the top and bottom sash join.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:27:11 -0400, Chuck wrote:

I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

These folks are great, and a 3x3 foot piece would likely be considered
a remnant and sell at a greatly reduced price. Full sheets of plastic
are usually 4x8 feet.

The reason they have remnants is that they are also fabricators.

http://www.modernplastics.com/index.htm

Best bet, after you look over the website is to call and talk to them
for information on what remnants they have in the back. Yu may end up
with a 3x4 foot piece or whatever, but it will be at a very good
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Plastics".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

I'm surprised:

http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/07...-or-lowes.html

Maybe you did not ask properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Frank wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

I'm surprised:

http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/07...-or-lowes.html

Maybe you did not ask properly.

Maybe you did not see the part about 1/4" thickness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

HD and other big-boxes only carry the middle part of the bell curve in
their stock. If only 4-5 people a year want it, they won't have it. Try
a local glass company that specializes in commercial work like signs,
store fronts and display cases, or look online. For one partial-size
sheet, you will pay a premium- most of these places deal in OEM lots.

Out of curiosity, what are you making or repairing?

--
aem sends...

Thanks for all the replies. I will be using it to make a few small
shelves. I considered glass but I want to shape it with my band saw.
Chuck B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Frank wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

I'm surprised:

http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/07...-or-lowes.html

Maybe you did not ask properly.

Maybe you did not see the part about 1/4" thickness.

Second guessing, if they had it maybe he could have settled for slightly
different thickness. Then, of course they need to cut it to his specs.
Not enough information in op.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Frank wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Frank

wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.
I'm surprised:

http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/07...-or-lowes.html

Maybe you did not ask properly.

Maybe you did not see the part about 1/4" thickness.

Second guessing, if they had it maybe he could have settled for slightly
different thickness. Then, of course they need to cut it to his specs.
Not enough information in op.

The point is, Lowe's and HD both sell plexiglass -- but *not* in 1/4"
thickness. Even the article you referenced described it as "thin sheets".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:42:25 -0400, Chuck wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:02:23 -0400, Chuck wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.
HD and other big-boxes only carry the middle part of the bell curve in
their stock. If only 4-5 people a year want it, they won't have it. Try
a local glass company that specializes in commercial work like signs,
store fronts and display cases, or look online. For one partial-size
sheet, you will pay a premium- most of these places deal in OEM lots.

Out of curiosity, what are you making or repairing?

--
aem sends...
Thanks for all the replies. I will be using it to make a few small
shelves. I considered glass but I want to shape it with my band saw.
Chuck B.
1/4 inch extruded plexiglas won't hold much weight without obvious
sagging unless it is a very short span. For shelves that will look
"straight" you probably want 1/2 inch CAST acrylic, which is also
available with a scratch resistant hardened surface.

Thanks for the addl. info. Shelves are for display of small light weight
objects. Will only be about 6" in length.

If you really only need small pieces that you planned to cut from that
larger 3x3 foot piece, you might get REALLY lucky looking for
remnants. There is even a cast plexi now that looks just like real
glass, including the green color on the polished edges after cutting.

If you call a place like Modern Plastics and describe your project,
they may come up with something a lot better than you imagined, for a
reasonable price.

Thanks. I'll try Modern Plastics. Good info! Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers writes:
benick wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but
wasn't able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

Try your local hardware store in the weatherization isle....Alot of
people still use it for storm doors and windows...

The 36" will be the hard part. Around here the stock tops out at 32"
or 34 " in one dimension. You can get narrow and tall, but not larger
squares. I was looking myself, last fall, to make inside storms that I
could tape to the casing. Finally said the heck with it before it
occurred to me to do it in 2 pieces with a taped joint in the center
at the level of the where the top and bottom sash join.

--

Well a lot of companies (at least online) sell plexiglass in 4x8
sheets and then fractional sheets... so half a sheet (4x4) should work
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:27:11 -0400, Chuck wrote:

:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
:able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar
materials can be rather problematic.

Dan

Dan Musicant
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote in -
september.org:

I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

With all the replies did no one suggest a glass shop?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Chuck wrote in -
september.org:

I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

With all the replies did no one suggest a glass shop?!

I finally found some plexiglas at HD. Cost about $20. I did check a
picture frame store and they wanted over $60 for a small piece that was
treated for UV. Thanks to all for the help. Chuck
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 9:35*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:27:11 -0400, Chuck wrote:

:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't
:able to find it. Any ideas? TIA * Chuck B.

In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar
materials can be rather problematic.

What are you talking about? Plexiglass cuts easily with a saw.

I just got through cutting some five ft long pieces on my table saw. I
used a fine tooth thin kerf blade and went real slow. It cut like
butter. WEAR EYE PROTECTION BESIDES GLASSES. I throws a lot of little
pieces around that can get behind your glasses. Not cool when you are
feeding plexiglass into a table saw.

Jimmie