Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Inclusion of Clause -- Missed Deadline -- How?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 21, 1:10 pm, "The Ranger" cuhulain _ wrote:
One of my friends just finished a bathroom remodel where the contractor
not
only finished ahead of schedule but undercost. My friend mentioned that he
always puts two clauses in any contracts; a deadline clause with
associated
penalties and an ahead of schedule clause.

I remember when we were remodeling, this wasn't something any of the
contractors would consider but we were also in a boom-economy. When I
asked
him how he gets his contractors to agree, he was cagey about it.

How do you draw up such a contract without blowing negotiations?

Draft a fair contract. Usually people only put in "big stick" clauses
and forget about the carrot. If you are up front with the contractor
and tell him the clauses give you performance insurance and give him
an opportunity, a confident contractor will appreciate it.

There are also drawbacks to deadline and performance clauses...You get
EXACTLY what's in the contract...If it's not included in the contract it
ain't happening...No changing your mind on ANYTHING and no since your
here.... or we've decided ect , ect....No moving furniture or we're having
company this weekend so could you please clean up really good Thursday and
not be here on Friday crap...They will be there including the weekend if
need be and **** will be happening regardless of what's happening in your
life (like getting sick or having to be gone for a while) and things like
cleaning up good everyday won't be happening either...You had better make
sure you think of EVERYTHING before YOU sign it including the quality of
materials (think under budget) and he will not start UNTILL everything that
has to be ordered is there ready to go....You will pay the performance money
even if that hole in the bedroom wall is still there that the plumber had to
cut out and repairing it and re-painting the wall wasn't in the contract or
the light bar you decided to add is still sitting on the floor or if SWMBO
has decided the paint color that she picked out is all wrong , ect...If you
know what I mean...Been there , done that , got the t-shirt and the
performance money....LOL..They will do the "extras" AFTER the money for the
contract work is paid including the bonus at an EXTRA cost....Not a good
idea unless it is pretty cut and dry and you know what you're doing...
IMHO....Alot can and does go wrong...