Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_2_] Artemus[_2_] is offline

Default Are Dovetail Joints becoming a thing of the past?

Well for starters dovetail joints look good and "right". I know that is purely
subjective, but I don't think I alone there. The machinery to make them is
readily available for high end mass production, cabinet shops, and the home
shop. They can even be made by hand. This indicates to me that they will be
around for a long time to come.

None of the above can be said about the Knapp joint.

Box joints meet most of the above but they just don't look right on
furniture to me. For utility use though they are fine. (IMHO.)
I don't see why one couldn't make a half blind box joint just as easily as a
half blind dovetail joint by using a similar template and router except using
a straight bit.
Art