Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Gluing aluminum to glass

On Jul 21, 3:26*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jul 21, 1:04*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Got a question regarding an upcoming repair job: how to adhere an
aluminum strip to glass.

Client has a glass shower that had a metal channel attached to the
bottom of the door (glass) that had come off. I made a new channel out
of aluminum angle and glued it on using [something I picked up at the
hardware sto don't remember exactly what].

It didn't hold. I need to reglue the strip. What do y'all suggest?

The stuff I'm thinking about is that special goop used to stick
rear-view mirrors to windshields. Amazing ****. I put such a mirror on
my van, and the stuff sticks like crazy. It comes in really little
packages; wonder if you can get a bigger tube of it?

Or epoxy?

Actual experience with your suggestion gets you extra points ...

Maybe this will get you a little closer. I had a problem gluing glass
to glass in kind of and arts and crafts project and finally got it to
work by etching the glass.
*My sister in law was big into etching glass at the time so she did it
for me and I dont remember what she used. This ws about 25 years ago.

As far as the mirror glue goes I think its just super glue and the
trick is in the primer that comes in the kit.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

I worked in a lamp glass laboratory years ago. We used hydroflouric
acid to etch glass but it's dangerous stuff.

Paul