Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default UPS: "Do not connect laser printer..."

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Greegor wrote:
Do inkjet printers handle the simily waveform well?

Inkjet printers use very low power stepper motors to move the head and
paper,
and very tiny heaters to make the ink bubble up. They run off of low power
DC.
The power supply in the printer (or external on most of my inkjets) very
happily
converts the output of a UPS to the DC that it needs.

The difference with laser printers is that the toner only sticks to the
paper
as long as there is an electrical charge. To keep it falling off of the
paper
after a few minutes, it has to be melted onto the paper.

The technical term used is "fused" and the part of the printer is called
a "fuser". They could of as easily called it "ironing" and an "iron", (as
in
an iron-on T shirt pattern) but that would have been too simple and
not sound important enough. :-)

Geoff.

Not quite their fault for using that terminology, though. It's borrowed from
the photocopier industry, where the same principle is used in exactly the
same way. I doubt that iron-on T-shirt patterns were around - certainly not
to the general public - when the toner / fuser technique was first
established by Xerox or whoever it was ... :-)
Arfa