Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Default Eagle Scout project complete!

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:

Doug, you have a fine young man for a son, anyone
who says different is a jerk. I wish there were
many more young folks like you son out there. I
understand your pride and your wish to share it.

Thank you.

You have every right to brag, perhaps you had a
little bit to do with it. *snicker*

I actually had very little to do with the project. My role could be described
as "technical consultant" perhaps -- things like suggesting that reducing the
planned width of the box by 1/4" made it possible to cut all fourteen backs
out of one sheet of plywood instead of two; likewise for the plexiglass
fronts. I showed him how to plan his cuts on the table saw to minimize the
need to change setups. I told him he ought to use stainless steel nails, not
galvanized, in cedar, and why. I showed him how to make simple jigs to make
sure cuts were made, and holes were drilled, in consistent repeatable
locations.

But he came up with the idea, he planned the project, he raised the funds, he
bought the materials (or arranged for them to be donated), he made *all* the
saw cuts, he organized the team of volunteers to assemble the boxes, he
directed them. He made sure the "Call Before You Dig" folks marked the area so
the post-hole auger wouldn't hit any buried utilities. He talked the owner of
a construction company into drilling the holes for him, and showed him where
to drill the holes, and how deep. He supervised the final assembly and
installation of all fourteen stations. He hired a local engraving company to
make the brass "In memory of..." plaques, and kept careful track of who had
endowed which station, to make sure the plaques wound up on the right posts.

Yes, I "had a little bit to do with it." Literally a little bit. But it was
his project. Not mine.

Well, what I meant was the creation of the outstanding young man.
Get it now? ROFL

TDD