Posted to alt.home.repair
PatM PatM is offline

Default Church deep cleaning (off topic)

On Jul 19, 11:17*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
"PatM" wrote in message

Wash all of the toys in the playroom to get the lead off of
them.

CY: We do have a playroom. Yes, the toys should be taken
out, and probably power washed. And all the chairs, too.
I've noticed the primary room has a distinct odor. The
carpets do get steamed now and again. So, my next guess is
the chairs have picked up some sweat from squirmy kids.

If it's over 10 years old, then replace your smoke
detectors.

Even hard wired ones are detachable. Ionized detectors need period
replacement (as do sprinkler heads).

CY: I'm sure the building has smoke detectors, but I'm not
sure where. I'll have to look. They would be hard wired in,
if any.

Rake the mulch away from the siding to keep out ants, etc.

CY: Good idea. And put some ant baits in the kitchen.

Clean the heating/cooling ducts.

CY: The filters get changed twice a year. The HVAC equipment
is all in overhead lofts. I can't ask people to climb
ladders on such assignment. I've been up there many times,
but it's dangerous work.

If you use a baptismal or such, get the gunk out of it.

CY: Yes, that needs scrubbing. With some kind of soap that
produces no bubbles. I remember the one time they scurbbed
the baptismal font,a nd the next baptism, they had bubbles
on the water. NOt good!

Polish the brass, including door hardware.

CY: Yes, that's good. Darned little brass, all the metal
seems to be dull chrome.

Check for burned out light bulbs. *Readjust them if they are
off.

CY: I'm sure at least a few people wonder why I wander
around, looking up. It's not nose in the air, honest! I'm
looking for bulbs out.

Give the sound system the once-over to make sure it's
balanced, etc.

CY: Odd you should mention that. The sound in the gym is way
loud. I could not find any adjuster for it.

Clean the mikes.

CY: You are right.

Seal any cracks in the driveway.

CY: We could get caulk tubes of driveway stuff.

Come over to my house and seal the cracks there, too.

CY: Be about 4 PM, after the church project.

Touch up painting if there are aisles on the side and people
rub on
the walls.

CY: Yes, there are runners along the sides of the walls.
I'll have to look at t hat.

Put Stick-um in the bottom of the collection basket.

CY: So the money doesn't slide out. Brilliant.

Wash all vestments and linens, if applicable.

CY: We do use linen for the sacrament table. Yes, those
should be washed and dried.

Wash the OUTSIDE of the windows.

CY: Excellent. Yes, that's needed.

Check the insulation in your ceiling. *Make sure it's okay.
Check for
leaks in the attic while you're there.

CY: I'd have to do some digging around, see if I can find
the attic access. Roof is flat, though.

Clean the gutters.

CY: At least one down spout is clogged.

Wash your sign out front and make it inviting.

CY:Hadn't thought of htat.

Clean the over, if you have one.

CY: We do have an electric over which doesn't get much use.
Mostly the range. I'll have to look, see if it needs
cleaning. Buy some over cleaning spray.

Replace lights with CFLs.

CY: Mostly fluorescents. Not all, though.

Check filters in HVAC. *Clean coils.

CY: Filters twice a year. Clean coils, I did that last year.

Touch up paint.

CY: Good one. Have to look around.

Replace your old thermostat with a new, programmable one.

CY: That's been done.

Test your alarms.

CY: Not sure we have any.

If you have sprinklers, they have an alarm -- usually a bell.

You should set off a smoke detector and make sure they all go off.

Edge the driveway.

CY: We do have outside service that does the lawns.

Test the PA system part for hearing impaired and make sure
it's
working.

CY: Good reminder. We do have an amplifier box in the clerk
office for hard of hearing.

Check inspection dates on fire extinguishers.

CY: I would not have thought of that. I th ink we have as
ervice that does that. Not sure.

Grease the elbows on big contributors.

CY: For sure!

Create a punch list that memorializes all of the things that
need to
be done so that you become the most hated person in the
congregation.
Then send it to other congregations to make it an "official"
list. *;-)

CY: We do have a task list that's posted in the custodian
closet. But, you got a lot of ones I'd not thought. For
that, I thank you.

Okay, there are probably more but that'll keep you busy for
a while.

While you're there, maybe you can install a new bishop.

Buy a case of Fabreze for the seats.

Check the gap around doors/windows for air infiltration.

Put a brick on the drinking fountain button and let it run for a while
to clean it out since it probably doesn't get much use.

Put some vinegar in the coffee pot and get rid of the scale.

Make sure the doors on the dividers in the bathroom close and latch
right.

Replace the artificial flowers in the lady's room.

Check the OUTSIDE light bulbs.

Paint your building's street number on the curb in front of your
building.

Re-paint the blue on the handicapped parking spots.

Call the Fire Department and give them the tour so they know where
everything is in case of problem and they know the layout. Also have
them check your Burke Box and make sure the key works. Locks might
have changed in 10 years.

Also, check your first aid kit and make sure it's complete. Check
your defibrillator and see if there are any tests that need to be
performed.

Check the batteries on your emergency lighting (push the button and
see if they work).

If you are near a city, go buy a weather radio with an alarm on it and
install it in the church so that you have a warning if bad weather is
occurring. They are cheap. It is especially important if you are in
Tornado area, but IIRC you are in WNY so bad winter weather like
whiteout might be more of a concern.

Might be good to install a couple of rechargeable flashlights in case
they are needed.

Finally, check your keys and make sure that everyone who should have
one has one and that they all work.

Get someone up on the roof and make sure it's okay.

That'll keep you busy for a while. See you at 4:00.