Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher repair/replacement

In article ,
F news@nowhere writes:
Our Whirlpool ADP 4504 dishwasher looks like it needs new PCB at a cost
of £104.73!

I don't mind repairing it but, as it's ~5 years old and already had a
couple of other parts replaced, I'm tempted to replace it.

Anyone care to comment on continuing (un)reliability and/or recommend a
replacement?

I look after two Whirlpools (IKEA ones) for different relatives.
Both have had problems, but have not been unduely unreliable.
They are 8 and 9 years old.

One was DOA - sprayed water everywhere on first switch-on.
Whirlpool engineer looked inside and said it looked like it
never completed it's passage down the production line as several
bits were missing. He fitted lots of parts and left. Next wash
cycle, it did the same. They sent another engineer, but I had
uninstalled it and packed it all up carefully again in its
original packing crate, so they wouldn't try repairing it again.
That worked, and instead of trying to repair it as he'd intended,
he ordered a new one.

New one was fine, except the door brakes both broke after a
couple of years (plastic pulleys which don't rotate and generate
friction to stop the door falling open/closed too quickly).
Got replacements from CPC.

The second one developed a leak - the outlet from the main pump
split (apparently a common fault with that pump, which is used
on lots of dishwashers), but its leak detection tray caught this
and it didn't do any damage to the solid maple floor it stands on.
I repaired by cutting off the integral outlet hose, and using a
piece of car radiator hose, which is still in place now a few
years later.

More recently I checked this one after a leak which turned out to
be user error (something shut in the door seal). However, I noticed
the two door brakes were also broken on this one, but are still
working. Also, the pump is starting to leak from the shaft seal,
but not enough yet to cause a problem.

--
Andrew Gabriel