Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default costco (now fuel discussion)

Many years ago, sometime in the eighties. I met a fellow who
told me he ran out of gas one night, along the road. A
trucker stopped by to help. they drained a couple galons of
diesel out of the truck tank, and poured into the car. The
car ran very poorly, but did run.

Like you say, wouldn't totally surprise me if Alaskans
bought fuel from Russia. More likely, Russians come over to
buy fuel. Since supply problems used to be epidemic in
Mother Russia. Like how medical care is a problem in Canada,
and they come to Michigan.

Wasn't there something about jet fuel, they wanted to add a
jelly something so that if a plane crashed, the fuel didn't
atomize and make an explosive mist?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I also agree that diesel doesn't need stabilizer like the
gasoline
that it's meant for. The information I have indicates that
newer
diesel blends aren't as good as the older blends because of
government
mandated emission standards. Hell, you guys in Alaska know
more about
diesel generators and small airplanes than any other
Americans for
obvious reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if you didn't get
fuel from
Russia from some folks who also know what works in the God
awful cold.
I would imagine that the 40 year old diesel fuel you found
was not
kept in a warm environment. I think the problems I faced
with diesel
fuel in a tropical climate may not plague you in your
somewhat less
tropical climate in Alaska. We had extreme humidity and
condensation
to deal with and tried to keep things warm to drive moisture
out of
equipment. Bugs love the tropics. By the way, correct me if
I'm wrong
but isn't jet fuel blended with additives to prevent gelling
or microbe
infestation since jet fuel is often exposed to environmental
extremes?

TDD