Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default unisaw, (new style) right tilt: blade has NO lower OR upper elevation stops? won't lower, binds at top...

"dave" wrote in message

I've had the table on and off already. it's back on now, this time
"shimmed up"

http://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_worm_and_shims/

in addition, 'it looks to me' as if all my tilt and elevation gears are in
correct relation to one another, in all planes of reference...

Now that you have shimmed the top, does the fence still indicate the same
cutting distance at the table surface when the blade is in the 90 and 45
degree tilt settings? Raising or lowering the table can throw this off and
is the primary reason for shimming. The resulting cutting width should be
the same regardless of what bevel setting that the blade is set at.

doug, when you said "...held onto the shaft by a pin, and toe shaft is
held in position ..." I'm a bit foggy on what's a "toe shaft"? that a typo
and you meant "the shaft"

it DOES occur to me, though, that maybe some previous owner 're-installed'
the worm 180 degrees 'out of synch' with the bore of the original
crosspin....so possibly that 'half-turn of the worm' is the cause of this
problem ???

thanks doug, I'm still looking into this... :-/

I'm gonna GUESS here that no matter HOW much assembly of the unisaw (my
model) was required on 'day one new' day, that installing the elevation
worm onto it's shaft *wasn't* one of the assembly steps the 'new owner'
was required to do. and I can't see any reason for ANYone prior to me ever
having 'removed' and re-installing' the elevation worm, either, seeing as
the saw is, for all practical purposes, brand new, or "near brand new,
anyway" (though, still....'could be')

so, I'm still baffled...

"Perhaps" a reason could be that part of the trunnion has been replaced and
the elevation handle/gear was not in the correct orientation during
reassembly.