Posted to alt.home.repair
ShadowTek ShadowTek is offline

Default Fan recommendation

wrote:

Box fans cannot move a lot of air or they would tip over. You can't
simply set the one I am replacing on a slick table as it will blow itself
off the table. The design of the stand keeps it from tipping itself over.

You must have had a bad experience with a poorly designed box fan. The
one I use has a beefy metal frame that gives it enough weight that it is
perfectly stable.

Besides, the grip that a fan has on a slick table is mostly determined
by the type of feet that it has, which is irrespective of the
shape of the fan's frame.

I have a fan just like the one in yor picture, and *my* box fan can move
just as much air without any problem.

The main advantage of a fan like the one in your picture is that is has
a seperate base that allows you to point the fan at an angle. That, and
the angled nature of that particular base provides a wider footprint,
which will increase stability.

Of course you can also find box-fans that have such a swivel-base.