Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fan recommendation

I need to replace a good quality fan that has served us well for many
years. I want to get a fan that:
Moves a lot of air
Will last a long time
Is reasonably quiet for the work it does
Lowest reasonable power consumption

The fan should be approximately 22-24" or so wide. In case it helps, you
can see the fan that is being replaced at: http://j7000.com/e/fan.jpg

Are there particularly good models and/or brands I should consider? Info
on where they are sold would also be helpful.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For fans in a living area, I sometimes prefer square-boxed fans, since
you can set things on top of them.

Also a consideration for living areas, I would suggest getting a fan
with plastic blades. That way you won't get the tip of your finger cut
off if your moving it around while its on and the cage gives way or
comes apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
ShadowTek wrote:

For fans in a living area, I sometimes prefer square-boxed fans, since
you can set things on top of them.

Also a consideration for living areas, I would suggest getting a fan
with plastic blades. That way you won't get the tip of your finger cut
off if your moving it around while its on and the cage gives way or
comes apart.

Do you have plastic steak knives, too? I mean, just in case a dinner
guest has an epileptic seizure in the middle of dinner, and
involuntarily stabs your daughter in the neck?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 2:01*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*ShadowTek wrote:
For fans in a living area, I sometimes prefer square-boxed fans, since
you can set things on top of them.

Also a consideration for living areas, I would suggest getting a fan
with plastic blades. That way you won't get the tip of your finger cut
off if your moving it around while its on and the cage gives way or
comes apart.

Do you have plastic steak knives, too? I mean, just in case a dinner
guest has an epileptic seizure in the middle of dinner, and
involuntarily stabs your daughter in the neck?

So that is why we have all these stabbings
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:45:09 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek
wrote:

For fans in a living area, I sometimes prefer square-boxed fans, since
you can set things on top of them.

Box fans cannot move a lot of air or they would tip over. You can't
simply set the one I am replacing on a slick table as it will blow itself
off the table. The design of the stand keeps it from tipping itself over.

Also a consideration for living areas, I would suggest getting a fan
with plastic blades. That way you won't get the tip of your finger cut
off if your moving it around while its on and the cage gives way or
comes apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I need to replace a good quality fan that has served us well for many
years. I want to get a fan that:
Moves a lot of air
Will last a long time
Is reasonably quiet for the work it does
Lowest reasonable power consumption

The fan should be approximately 22-24" or so wide. In case it helps, you
can see the fan that is being replaced at:
http://j7000.com/e/fan.jpg

Are there particularly good models and/or brands I should consider? Info
on where they are sold would also be helpful.

Thanks.

I wish I knew more about choosing from the hundreds of fans on the market.

If you need to a certain volume of air, bigger should be more efficient.
For example, if a 20" and a 10" model are both designed to move the
same volume per minute, the speed of air from the 10" model will have to
be 4 times faster, and that means 16 times more energy.

A good fan is designed to move a certain volume. It's less efficient
if run faster or slower. I imagine with many three-speed fans, "high"
is to make sales by showing off and is not efficient.

Twenty years ago I made an impulse purchase of a cheap 12" table fan in
a drugstore because it was quiet and moved air adequately. After
perhaps 20,000 hours, it's still working fine. On "low" it's quiet and
uses only 25 watts, but it will provide a cooling draft across the room.
Like a classic metal table fan, it has a wire cage.

Relatives brought a 10" version by the same manufacturer. It's noisy
and less effective.

Ten years ago I bought what looked like a 12" table fan on the internet.
It's the kind where the blade is hard to see inside the globe-shaped
plastic shroud. After buying it, I found that the blade is only 10".
It's noisier than my 12" fan, and harder to clean.

I have an old steel 20" box fan that takes 400 watts and weighs 29
pounds. The bearings have become noisy. I also have a flimsy 19"
plastic box fan that takes 200 watts and weighs 9 pounds. It doesn't
blow nearly as well as the old metal fan, but the plastic one is what I
use to ventilate at night. On "medium" it's quieter, uses only 100
watts, and may move nearly as much air as on "high."

When it comes to ventilating a house at night, I, like you, wish I knew
more about the available fans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:

I wish I knew more about choosing from the hundreds of fans on the market.

If you need to a certain volume of air, bigger should be more efficient.
For example, if a 20" and a 10" model are both designed to move the
same volume per minute, the speed of air from the 10" model will have to
be 4 times faster, and that means 16 times more energy.

I always go for the biggest one. A larger fan can move more air with
fewer rotations, compared to a smaller fan, which means it will make
less noise (generally speaking).

Such differences are dramatically noticible with computer fans.
Replacing a screaming 40mm fan with a nearly silent 100mm fan makes a
world of difference.

Recommendation George UK diy 1 April 1st 07 09:59 PM
recommendation or not marc rosen Woodturning 2 February 20th 07 06:04 PM
saw recommendation blue Home Repair 16 October 2nd 04 06:08 PM
Need Recommendation cp Home Repair 2 September 2nd 04 05:04 PM
Hot Air Gun - recommendation? Andrew McKay UK diy 11 July 9th 03 01:39 PM