Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default (Way OT) Tooth Stuff. Was: Wind Power

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Winston wrote:

(...)

Your dentist hopes that you will never discover:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Search for:
"Effect of hydrogen peroxide on developing plaque and gingivitis in man."
1: J Clin Periodontol. 1979 Apr;6(2):115-30.

Also search for "The comparative efficacy of stabilized stannous
fluoride dentifrice, peroxide/baking soda dentifrice and essential oil
mouthrinse for the prevention of gingivitis." at the same site.

I searched for more articles on "hydrogen peroxide gingivitis", and a
lot of studies came up, many saying the H2O2 didn't work all that much
better than anything else. The most interesting article was the one
whose title is mentioned above.

The 'comparative efficacy' article didn't mention the concentration of
H2O2 made available inside the sulcus. It's listed as the 11th ingredient down in a list
of 15 ingredients, with water being listed in the number 3 slot:
http://whatsinproducts.com/informati...6e73e09454bc7d

Sounds to me as if it is a 'gimmick' ingredient, included at a
molecular ratio just to say that some is in the tube.

I've got no argument with the efficacy of stannous fluoride.
That's the reason why I have had such good results with a combination
of brushing with fluoride toothpaste, flossing and rinsing with
an H2O2 solution.

Note that the study did not include a comparison of that
combination of tools and techniques.

It's a little disingenuous to say 'they tested "A" compared with
"J" so therefore "B" is not any more effective than "A".

--Winston