Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Relocating a 10' x 12" shed

Of course, when the shed was built the location that it is in made
perfect sense. Now, my wife and I are comtemplating some structural
changes to our house and the addition would take advantage of the
space where the shed currently sits.

I moved our 8'x10' shed a few years ago. I originally built it behind our
old mobile home, but when we built our new house the shed would have been
right outside the front window. So it was move it or dismantle it.

In my case, the shed was built on a concrete slab. So, I bought some
long 2x4's and ran them diagonally inside at the floor to keep the
building square. I also ran a 2x4 across the door opening to keep that
secure. Then I attached some 2x4's to the studs on each end to use as a
jacking point. I unbolted the sill plates from the slab, then slowly
jacked up each end, setting it on blocks to allow jacking the other side.

When I had it high enough to clear the anchor bolts, I used a metal blade
on a reciprocating saw to cut off all the anchor bolts flush with the
slab. Then I slid a 2x6 (laid flat) under each side of the shed, and
lowered the shed back down on the 2x6 skids, and screwed the shed to the
skids. The skids were about 2' longer than the shed length, so a foot
stuck out on each end. I beveled the bottom corners of each board first
to help it run over rough ground. Then I attached a 2x4 on top of the
skids at each end on the outside of the skids.

I used "Simpson Strong Drive Screws" for all connections. They're kind of
like lag bolts, but are self tapping and easy to drive with a
drill/driver. They're also easy to remove when the job is finished.
They're available in the home centers in the area where the metal
brackets, joist hangers, post bases, and whatnot are sold.

I already had a Bobcat on site for doing some landscape work, so I
attached a chain to the bucket and at each end of the 2x4 I mounted on
the skids outside the shed. The bucket allowed me to lift the front edge
slightly, but it probably wasn't needed. Then I started pulling. I
expected a major struggle and thought the shed would probably fall apart
rather than move. But, it moved effortlessly with no sign of racking. I
pulled it about 60' to the back of our new house.

Once I unhooked the chain, I used the bobcat bucket to "nudge" the shed
back and forth and side to side until it was in exactly the position I
wanted (pushing on the skids, not the shed!).

Then, we jacked the shed up again, took off the 2x6 skids, and poured a
new slab underneath, complete with new anchor bolts. I drilled out the
sills to meet up with the new bolts, then lowered the shed back down on
the slab and bolted it in place. Finally, I removed all the bracing I had
installed earlier.

I added a little shed roof extension on one end for firewood storage,
then new shingles and a fresh coat of paint to match the house. It looks
like it has always been there, and was a lot less work and expense than
tearing down the shed and building a new one.

You can rent a bobcat fairly cheap ($250 for the day), but a good pickup
truck would probably work just as well. A small shed really doesn't weigh
as much as you might think.

Good luck,

Anthony