Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Relocating a 10' x 12" shed

Of course, when the shed was built the location that it is in made
perfect sense. Now, my wife and I are comtemplating some structural
changes to our house and the addition would take advantage of the
space where the shed currently sits.

I'm probably going to have to dismantle the shed - which was stick
built on site - and try to rebuild it reusing as much if the original
materials as possible.

But, everyone in here always has such a wide range of opinions - from
highly useful to smart-alecky and hilarious.

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message
Of course, when the shed was built the location that it is in made
perfect sense. Now, my wife and I are comtemplating some structural
changes to our house and the addition would take advantage of the
space where the shed currently sits.

I'm probably going to have to dismantle the shed - which was stick
built on site - and try to rebuild it reusing as much if the original
materials as possible.

But, everyone in here always has such a wide range of opinions - from
highly useful to smart-alecky and hilarious.

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

well, how was it built? you could probably just put it on some pvc pipes and
push it around the yard. get some local kids to keep moving the rollers from
the back to the front. if it was good enough for the egyptians to move the
stones for the pyramids, it'll move your shed. of course, the shed would
have to have been built to stay in one piece. if not, perhaps you can take
it apart and move each wall seperately, then put it back together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 11:16*am, "charlie" wrote:
"Commish" wrote in message

[...]

I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipes would crush instantly.

If I could borrow some thick enough metal/steel/iron pipes that might
be an idea....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Commish wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipes would crush instantly.

If I could borrow some thick enough metal/steel/iron pipes that might
be an idea....

I saw an inventor/discoverer demonstrate how to move 60-ton concrete blocks
without rollers. He had a mess of people lined up on each side of the block,
each had a long pole. A log was place along each side of the block to act as
a fulcrum.

Each person, at the "heave-ho" command, pulled down on their pole and the
block went up. Then each person stepped forward a couple of paces and the
block moved backwards. Then the heavers raised their poles and the block
went down.

The fulcrum-logs were moved to be alongside the block's new position, the
pole-tenders got another grip and the block moved another three feet.

Think of it as being similar to rowing a galley.

Quite impressive, really.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Commish wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipes would crush instantly.

If I could borrow some thick enough metal/steel/iron pipes that might
be an idea....

actually, with the weight spread out on many rollers, they probably wouldn't
crush there isn't that much weight concentrated in one place on the shed
floor or bottoms of the wall, unless it's a block wall shed.. think thick
walled pvc in maybe 2" diameter or larger.

you haven't specified construction materials or type.

I saw an inventor/discoverer demonstrate how to move 60-ton concrete
blocks without rollers. He had a mess of people lined up on each side of
the block, each had a long pole. A log was place along each side of the
block to act as a fulcrum.

Each person, at the "heave-ho" command, pulled down on their pole and the
block went up. Then each person stepped forward a couple of paces and the
block moved backwards. Then the heavers raised their poles and the block
went down.

The fulcrum-logs were moved to be alongside the block's new position, the
pole-tenders got another grip and the block moved another three feet.

Think of it as being similar to rowing a galley.

Quite impressive, really.

youtube video cite? that would be interesting to see. there was that other
one that was making the rounds 6 months or so of a guy who demonstrated how
to move 60 ton blocks with a few pulleys, ropes, stones, or counterweights.

OP: see about 2:00 into this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDz...om=PL&index=19

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:10:11 -0700 (PDT), Commish
wrote:

-snip-
So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

i've moved an 8x10 shed twice with a 6' bar, 2 landscape timbers for
tracks and a bucket of grease. I used a couple pipes for rollers
once, but I work alone so they just slowed me down.

It is a shoddily built thing, built by a previous owner from 2x3's on
2' centers and T-1-11. The first time I moved it there were only 3
sides- the one side was the garage.

To the guy who said PVC would crush--I doubt it. schedule 40 3" pipes
is what I rolled my hot tub on. They showed no signs of stress. A
stick built shed is probably little more than the weight as all that
fiberglass & motors. [and if it is- you're out $5- and a re-think]

In any event- the name of the moving game is "slow, slow, slow". Haste
will only wreck the building or crush some flesh. but it is so cool
when you've done it. Way better than destruction/construction.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Commish wrote:
Of course, when the shed was built the location that it is in made
perfect sense. Now, my wife and I are comtemplating some structural
changes to our house and the addition would take advantage of the
space where the shed currently sits.

I'm probably going to have to dismantle the shed - which was stick
built on site - and try to rebuild it reusing as much if the original
materials as possible.

But, everyone in here always has such a wide range of opinions - from
highly useful to smart-alecky and hilarious.

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

Personally, I would try moving it. Depending on how the foundation was
built, I would nail diagonal braces to all 4 inside walls to stiffen it.
Then I would release it from the foundation, either removing screws, nuts
from anchor bolts or cutting nails to release the bottom plate.

Then I would pry it up a little all around and insert shims or shim wedges
as I went. Keep going around raising it 1/4 inch per time, the actual amount
will depend on how strongly built the shed was. When there is enough room,
slide a 4x4 under the two parallel walls after propping the walls up. Cut
the 4x4 ends at 45 degrees so they act like a drag sleigh, and add some
screws to hold them through the bottom plate. Add some straight and diagonal
bracing on the floor level to prevent racking and caving in at the door.
Depending on the smoothness and hardness the area you are moving over, you
could jack it up a little more and add some rollers and pull with a tractor,
pickup or crowd of people to relocate the shed where you want it. You may
need to be creative in how to lift it and how to move it particularly it
there are any turns involved. All in all, it has to be less work than
dissassembling it and rebuilding it over again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message

[...]

It would be helpful to know a little more about its construction.
What does it sit on? Is it anchored to the ground or to some kind of
foundation, or does it just sit on the ground? If the latter, you can
probably jack or lever it up and move it. I would start with some
sort of simple test - take a 2X4 and a cement block and see if you can
lift up one corner. If you can get it up off the ground then you
could likely go with the rollers or with skids that you slip under
there. Is the floor made of plywood on 2X4s? If so it is probably
rigid enough to keep the shed together. Another idea would be to
install some diagonal bracing inside the shed for the move, then
remove it afterward. Also, I would not be so quick to dismiss the PVC
idea - especially if the weight is distributed over many contact
points (i.e. the PVC pipe is perpendicular to the joists). -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 10:10*am, Commish wrote:
Of course, when the shed was built the location that it is in made
perfect sense. Now, my wife and I are comtemplating some structural
changes to our house and the addition would take advantage of the
space where the shed currently sits.

I'm probably going to have to dismantle the shed - which was stick
built on site - and try to rebuild it reusing as much if the original
materials as possible.

But, everyone in here always has such a wide range of opinions - from
highly useful to smart-alecky and hilarious.

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

I'd go with the rollers or the greased timbers approach suggested by
others. I moved one but, it had to go across the street & through a
walk gate, so I cut the supports and broke it down; roof, walls and
base bolted wheels to the sections one at a time and had the neighbor
hood kids help push and balance. We could have sold tickets to watch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 11:10*am, Commish wrote:
[...]

Well, as long as you brought it up...

Get a Sky Hook.

Hang it mid-way between where the shed is now and where you want it to
go.

Hang a pulley from the Sky Hook and run a rope through the pulley to
the top of the shed.

With some friends on hand, pull down on the rope to lift the shed,
which will immediately begin to swing toward the mid-point where the
Sky Hook is.

Using the momentum of the already-in-motion shed, your friends should
be able to guide it past the mid-point all the way to the new
location.

As soon as it is over the new location, release the rope and set it
down.

Make sure to remove the Sky Hook afterwards to eliminate any danger to
low flying aircraft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 11:22*am, Commish wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipes would crush instantly.

If I could borrow some thick enough metal/steel/iron pipes that might
be an idea....

I'm not sure how heavy (or sturdy) your shed is, but when my 10x12 pre-
built shed was delivered, two guys used a couple of 6" (I'm guessing)
PVC pipes and a cartoonishly large crowbar with wheels to move it
around (the crowbar was for getting it on and off of the pipes and
final tweaking). Pipe that size probably costs a few bucks, but
probably beats the hell ou of taking the whole shed apart... It has a
heavy wood floor structure that probably weighs more than the rest of
the shed combined.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have moved our 8x10 shed a few times. I just jacked it up a bit, slid
some 2x4s under it to act as rails and set it down on 3" iron pipes. I
would walk the 2x4s along so as to make continuous rails. As one gets
exposed while it moves, I would move it to the front. Same with the pipes.
You should only need three pipes.

As for locomotion, going up hill, I used a come-along tied to a tree or a
fence post. Down hill was much easier. The key is to take your time. You
should not be in any hurry.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

You know, there is a huge shagebark hickory tree in our back yard where I
just might have been able to do something like that . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 2:52*pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
[...]

just might have been able to do something like that . . .- Hide quoted text -

Sky Hooks are not designed to be hung from trees.

Do not use the Sky Hook products for any use other than those intended
and illustrated in the Owner's Manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message

[...]

Round wood fence posts like these. You'd only need 4-6.
http://www.kencove.com/fence/Wood+Po...l_P4X12PCP.php

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Get a Sky Hook.

Hang it mid-way between where the shed is now and where you want it to
go.

Hang a pulley from the Sky Hook and run a rope through the pulley to
the top of the shed.

To an eyebolt in the middle of the ridge?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Commish wrote:

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

Two people, one at each end, should be able to carry it. If it's tall
you should get a third person to keep it from falling over. With those
dimensions, it's probably unstable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 4:21*pm, "1D10T" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Get a Sky Hook.

Hang it mid-way between where the shed is now and where you want it to
go.

Hang a pulley from the Sky Hook and run a rope through the pulley to
the top of the shed.

To an eyebolt in the middle of the ridge?

No, you don't want to damage the ridge.

To avoid damage to the structure, you should not use any mechanical
means to attach the rope to the top of the shed.

Just be sure it is securely attached so that you don't injure the
friends that are helping you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message

[...]

Moved my 10x8 shed that way. Use four 3" pipes to move it 10 feet and turn
it 90 degrees. Took 30 minutes total.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Commish wrote:

[...]

Some inventor/discoverer. Probably just watched a bunch of old B&W holy
movies and stole the idea from the Pyramid builders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:
Commish wrote:

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

Two people, one at each end, should be able to carry it. If it's tall
you should get a third person to keep it from falling over. With
those dimensions, it's probably unstable.

I was going to suggest a half dozen guys. Or, 2 automotive floor jacks and two
2x12's to roll them on. (and a couple guys to balance it)

How heavy can a 10' x 12' shed be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 9:11*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
Commish wrote:

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

Two people, one at each end, should be able to carry it. *If it's tall
you should get a third person to keep it from falling over. *With
those dimensions, it's probably unstable.

I was going to suggest a half dozen guys. Or, 2 automotive floor jacks and two
2x12's to roll them on. (and a couple guys to balance it)

How heavy can a 10' x 12' shed be?

A typical pickup can tow say 3500 pounds! Any car probably
1500-2000?
If a block and tackle could be rigged to a tree (or using another
vehicle as an anchor) or something; using a 2 to 1 or a 3 to 1 line
pulley ratio it might be possible to 'tow' the line for say ten feet
while the shed moves say three or four feet. Then re-rig the line and
another few feet. In a couple of hours shed could be 20 feet away. As
suggested let it slide or roll on something; couple of greased planks
etc. The break out the beer and the Bar-B-Q to thank the neighbours
who by now should have gathered around to help! Well; they would
around here!
Biggest problem might be looping a rope 'around' shed so as to not
tear the end out of it. Anybody with truck do driveway snow clearing
your area? Such a vehicle might be suitable and might even have a bit
of winch on front which could lift one end of shed. That and/or jacks
as a start to get it up on the slides or rollers!
Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message

I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipes would crush instantly.

I think you should do a bit of research on the compressive strength of a 3
or 4" PVC pipe and compute the total weight of the shed. Then I am fairly
sure you will find that 3-5 pipes can handle that weight with no problem.

I can tell you for a fact that a 2 axle dump truck with 7 ton of gravel
backed over mine which was only buried 5" deep (gutter drain) and did
absolutely no damage.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hipupchuck" wrote in message

Jack it up and put it on a 4 x 4 sled. Slightly lift the forward end and
pull with a tractor.

The guy next door to one of my rentals drug one almost a mile using that
method. The skids were a mite worn from the blacktop.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:

youtube video cite? that would be interesting to see. there was that
other one that was making the rounds 6 months or so of a guy who
demonstrated how to move 60 ton blocks with a few pulleys, ropes,
stones, or counterweights.
OP: see about 2:00 into this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDz...om=PL&index=19

Yeah, you could do that. But the Egyptians didn't know about pulleys or
block-and-tackles.

This same guy also elevated giant stones using a similar method. Everybody
would heave, the stone would go up and, while it was up, others would shove
timbers beneath it. Then while all the heavers rested, their
fulcrum/scaffold would be rebuilt a little higher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Hipupchuck" wrote in message

Jack it up and put it on a 4 x 4 sled. Slightly lift the forward end and
pull with a tractor.

The guy next door to one of my rentals drug one almost a mile using that
method. The skids were a mite worn from the blacktop.

Colbyt

My 10X10 shed is built on 6X6 PT skids and this is the reason I always
recommend building sheds on skids...I have moved mine couple of times with
my pick up using a chain attached to the skids..(SWMBO couldn't make up her
mind)...Moved pretty easy too...Did scuff the grass up a bit but was easily
fixed...Perhaps you could jack it up and put it on skids ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forklifts are usually designed for cement floors. I'd
suggest to take several two by fours, and screw em to the
walls, sticking out about six feet. Think in the form of a
military litter.

----------- ------------------
|------------------------|
| SHED |
| |
|------------------------|
--------- -----------------

Break the shed from the footing. Hire a video crew. Hire a
couple hardy teenagers to help out. Put two teens on each
board, and lift. Walk it over, set it down. Put video on
Youtube. Post link, here. Feed everyone beer and pizza.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Commish" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commish" wrote in message

[...]

You still haven't described the construction of the floor. Thats 99% of
figuring out if and how it can be moved.

PVC won't crush because the weight is distributed. My cousin had a large
prefab shed business and they often needed to move them into final
position using that method. If you don't want to tinker with it you
could likely pay someone like him a nominal charge to do it when in your
neighborhood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
Commish wrote:

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

Two people, one at each end, should be able to carry it. If it's tall
you should get a third person to keep it from falling over. With
those dimensions, it's probably unstable.

I was going to suggest a half dozen guys. Or, 2 automotive floor jacks and two
2x12's to roll them on. (and a couple guys to balance it)

How heavy can a 10' x 12' shed be?

The OP's shed is 10' x 12". I've never seen a shed that size that I
couldn't lift with one hand. (In fact, I've never seen a shed that size
that I /could/ lift.) I wonder what he keeps in it. Shoes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, when the shed was built the location that it is in made
perfect sense. Now, my wife and I are comtemplating some structural
changes to our house and the addition would take advantage of the
space where the shed currently sits.

I moved our 8'x10' shed a few years ago. I originally built it behind our
old mobile home, but when we built our new house the shed would have been
right outside the front window. So it was move it or dismantle it.

In my case, the shed was built on a concrete slab. So, I bought some
long 2x4's and ran them diagonally inside at the floor to keep the
building square. I also ran a 2x4 across the door opening to keep that
secure. Then I attached some 2x4's to the studs on each end to use as a
jacking point. I unbolted the sill plates from the slab, then slowly
jacked up each end, setting it on blocks to allow jacking the other side.

When I had it high enough to clear the anchor bolts, I used a metal blade
on a reciprocating saw to cut off all the anchor bolts flush with the
slab. Then I slid a 2x6 (laid flat) under each side of the shed, and
lowered the shed back down on the 2x6 skids, and screwed the shed to the
skids. The skids were about 2' longer than the shed length, so a foot
stuck out on each end. I beveled the bottom corners of each board first
to help it run over rough ground. Then I attached a 2x4 on top of the
skids at each end on the outside of the skids.

I used "Simpson Strong Drive Screws" for all connections. They're kind of
like lag bolts, but are self tapping and easy to drive with a
drill/driver. They're also easy to remove when the job is finished.
They're available in the home centers in the area where the metal
brackets, joist hangers, post bases, and whatnot are sold.

I already had a Bobcat on site for doing some landscape work, so I
attached a chain to the bucket and at each end of the 2x4 I mounted on
the skids outside the shed. The bucket allowed me to lift the front edge
slightly, but it probably wasn't needed. Then I started pulling. I
expected a major struggle and thought the shed would probably fall apart
rather than move. But, it moved effortlessly with no sign of racking. I
pulled it about 60' to the back of our new house.

Once I unhooked the chain, I used the bobcat bucket to "nudge" the shed
back and forth and side to side until it was in exactly the position I
wanted (pushing on the skids, not the shed!).

Then, we jacked the shed up again, took off the 2x6 skids, and poured a
new slab underneath, complete with new anchor bolts. I drilled out the
sills to meet up with the new bolts, then lowered the shed back down on
the slab and bolted it in place. Finally, I removed all the bracing I had
installed earlier.

I added a little shed roof extension on one end for firewood storage,
then new shingles and a fresh coat of paint to match the house. It looks
like it has always been there, and was a lot less work and expense than
tearing down the shed and building a new one.

You can rent a bobcat fairly cheap ($250 for the day), but a good pickup
truck would probably work just as well. A small shed really doesn't weigh
as much as you might think.

Good luck,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipes would crush instantly.

People move pontoon boats all the time on PVC pipes without any
issues. I'm sure a 24' pontoon boat is heaver than a shed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 12:14*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:10:11 -0700 (PDT), Commish

wrote:

-snip-

[...]

When I expanded my back porch I had to move mine. Part of the
foundation was a pair of 6x6 timbers running the length of the
building and that set on some concrete blocks to level. We set it down
on PVC pipe and rolled it about 20ft with it still loadedfor the most
part. We did remove items that might get damaged if shaken around. We
put 10 rollers under a 10 x 12 building and took the pipe back for a
refund after we finished. There may have only been 9 under it at any
one time. Four of it pushed it by hand for the most part. There was
one place where we got stuck because of a dip in the ground. We got it
moving again by using a shovel as an anchor for a come-along. Ground
here is very hard clay when it is dry. If you have soft soil you may
have to lay down some runners.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:46:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Forklifts are usually designed for cement floors. I'd
suggest to take several two by fours, and screw em to the
walls, sticking out about six feet. Think in the form of a
military litter.

----------- ------------------
|------------------------|
| SHED |
| |
|------------------------|
--------- -----------------

Break the shed from the footing. Hire a video crew. Hire a
couple hardy teenagers to help out. Put two teens on each
board, and lift. Walk it over, set it down. Put video on
Youtube. Post link, here. Feed everyone beer and pizza.

My 10X10 shed would take a hercules on each corner if 4 were to lift
it. 8 foot hih walls, all hardwood 2X5 studs on 16 inch centers with 1
inch hardwood "attic floor" Bet it weighs 2 tons (oh yes, the roof is
15X15)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 1:41*pm, Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On Jul 17, 11:22*am, Commish wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the PVC pipes would crush instantly.

If I could borrow some thick enough metal/steel/iron pipes that might
be an idea....

I'm not sure how heavy (or sturdy) yourshedis, but when my 10x12 pre-
builtshedwas delivered, two guys used a couple of 6" (I'm guessing)
PVC pipes and a cartoonishly large crowbar with wheels to move it
around (the crowbar was for getting it on and off of the pipes and
final tweaking). Pipe that size probably costs a few bucks, but
probably beats the hell ou of taking the wholeshedapart... It has a
heavy wood floor structure that probably weighs more than the rest of
theshedcombined.

The shed itself is fairly sturdy. It was stick-built on site and sits
on some 4x4 blocks on a blacktop drive way - so there's a little room
underneath all the way around.

So, the walls are built with 2x4 studs covered with T-111 siding. The
floor sits on 2x8s (or 2x6s, I haven't scuttle underneath to check it.
It's a gambrel roof with asphalt shingles.

So, if I have to - I can take it apart, but it wasn't built to be
easily dissembled.

For the folks who suggested rollers - I like that idea, however, where
I want it is down a slope. How much slope? My 4yos can sled down it
safely, but you have to stop them from the bushes at the bottom. I
wouldn't call it steep. But it's a little more than gentle....

Once on the rollers, how likely will it be to take off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Commish wrote:

-snip-
For the folks who suggested rollers - I like that idea, however, where
I want it is down a slope. How much slope? My 4yos can sled down it
safely, but you have to stop them from the bushes at the bottom. I
wouldn't call it steep. But it's a little more than gentle....

Once on the rollers, how likely will it be to take off?

Very! Hard to tell from here but it sounds like you have enough
slope to forgo rollers & just use skids. And your challenge is to
hold it back-- not pull it forward.

Remember to tie it off up near the eaves and down low- and don't make
any sudden moves.

I work alone so the way I do it would be different from the way
someone with lots of bodies would do it.

I'd hook a winch on it- get it to the hill- then put the winch on the
high side and ease it down the hill.

With 10 people, I'd hand 2 people video cameras, then put 4 people on
each side, each with a rope across to the person on the other side.
We'd pick up the darn thing and have it down the hill in no time.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Commish wrote:

-snip-
[...]

I'm getting a picture in my head- a couple 4x4s with rounded ends,
tucked under the sides and bolted to the shed somehow. 4x4s longer than
the shed, with a couple 2x6 cross pieces at the ends, lagged into the
4x4s. Use a truck or come-along for motive power, and another one or a
belay system on the uphill side as a brake. Tow straps, not chain or
cable, for the pulling connection.

If you have a couple of buddies with 4x4 trucks, they probably have all
the needed bits already. Basically make the shed into a sled.

--
aem sends...

Insulating shed - "Frame Foil"? JP Coetzee UK diy 32 July 29th 08 12:20 AM
Insulating shed - "Frame Foil"? JP Coetzee UK diy 0 July 24th 08 02:03 PM
relocating bathroom & wc blue UK diy 1 January 9th 07 12:55 PM
Electric in the garden shed and "part P" Dark Angel UK diy 19 October 24th 05 02:40 PM
Relocating a BT line Luke Newman UK diy 23 May 31st 05 12:06 AM