Posted to alt.home.repair
windcrest windcrest is offline

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

On Jul 17, 4:18*pm, "JC" wrote:
"windcrest" wrote in message

On Jul 14, 3:54 pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:

Hi,

We are about to replace our 28 year old Kenmore with a new
refrigerator. An
ice maker is a given. I've looked at similar looking refrigerators
that
range from $800 to $2500. I would assume the more expensive units
are
better built but otherwise don't have a clue what I am paying for.

Thanks,
Gary

In the showroom apply about 100 to 150 lbs of weight to the drawers
and shelves (by using your muscles and body weight). *If the plastic
drawer sliders and shelf holders dont crack, then buy that fridge.
Apply this weight with the drawers slid open. *I have rarely had
anything ever go wrong with a fridge, but many times I wind up with
cracked plastic drawer sliders and shelf supports after the first year
or so. *It is a bitch fixing these as you have to replace them
completely.

If the salesperson has a problem with this, then go to another store
and test them there.

I'm serious, strong internal plastic sliders and shelf cleats is about
all I bother to look for, as I am living with a fridge (Maytag) today
that has 2 cracked drawer sliders that no longer can hold the drawers
at all (those drawers now sit on the shelf). *All the other aspects
seems to be too close to call between manufacturers.

I think you will find almost all of them are made by the same company,
WS Woods and just put various brands on them.

You mean WC Wood? (http://www.wcwood.com/) They make the interiors on
most brands?