Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_4_] JC[_4_] is offline

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

"windcrest" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 3:54 pm, "Abby Brown" wrote:
Hi,

We are about to replace our 28 year old Kenmore with a new
refrigerator. An
ice maker is a given. I've looked at similar looking refrigerators
that
range from $800 to $2500. I would assume the more expensive units
are
better built but otherwise don't have a clue what I am paying for.

Thanks,
Gary

In the showroom apply about 100 to 150 lbs of weight to the drawers
and shelves (by using your muscles and body weight). If the plastic
drawer sliders and shelf holders dont crack, then buy that fridge.
Apply this weight with the drawers slid open. I have rarely had
anything ever go wrong with a fridge, but many times I wind up with
cracked plastic drawer sliders and shelf supports after the first year
or so. It is a bitch fixing these as you have to replace them
completely.

If the salesperson has a problem with this, then go to another store
and test them there.

I'm serious, strong internal plastic sliders and shelf cleats is about
all I bother to look for, as I am living with a fridge (Maytag) today
that has 2 cracked drawer sliders that no longer can hold the drawers
at all (those drawers now sit on the shelf). All the other aspects
seems to be too close to call between manufacturers.

I think you will find almost all of them are made by the same company,
WS Woods and just put various brands on them.