Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Listermann Dan Listermann is offline

Default Relocating a 10' x 12" shed

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 17, 11:10 am, Commish wrote:
Of course, when the shed was built the location that it is in made
perfect sense. Now, my wife and I are comtemplating some structural
changes to our house and the addition would take advantage of the
space where the shed currently sits.

I'm probably going to have to dismantle the shed - which was stick
built on site - and try to rebuild it reusing as much if the original
materials as possible.

But, everyone in here always has such a wide range of opinions - from
highly useful to smart-alecky and hilarious.

So, for the group - If I wanted to try and move this shed, what would
my options and some suggestions be? Would it be feasible to rent a
fork lift? Can I screw on enough casters to roll it around? Winch it
up onto a flat bed wrecker?

"But, everyone in here always has such a wide range of opinions -

from highly useful to smart-alecky and hilarious"

Well, as long as you brought it up...

Get a Sky Hook.

Hang it mid-way between where the shed is now and where you want it to
go.

Hang a pulley from the Sky Hook and run a rope through the pulley to
the top of the shed.

With some friends on hand, pull down on the rope to lift the shed,
which will immediately begin to swing toward the mid-point where the
Sky Hook is.

Using the momentum of the already-in-motion shed, your friends should
be able to guide it past the mid-point all the way to the new
location.

As soon as it is over the new location, release the rope and set it
down.

Make sure to remove the Sky Hook afterwards to eliminate any danger to
low flying aircraft.

You know, there is a huge shagebark hickory tree in our back yard where I
just might have been able to do something like that . . .