Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default costco honda generator

"Bruce in alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ulysses" wrote:

This is from a CL ad:

Model 6.5 nh-3cr. 6500 watts, 120-240 volts. 54.2-27.1 amps. Phase 1.

Starts
dependably. Hear it run. Like new! Came out of wrecked motor home. New
plugs, wires, points, condensor, oil and filter, 30wt. non-detergent.

New
fuel pump and air cleaner. Dimensions are 23" in Heighth, 32" in width",

20"
depth. Mounting plate is 19x19

All of this makes me wonder about maintenance. There seems to be a lot

of
stuff there that I currently don't have to deal with. How often does

the
oil need to be changed on these generators? Does the oil filter reduce

the
frequency of oil changes or just improve the lubrication? Does the

flywheel
need to be removed to adjust the points or are they easy to get to?

Maintainance is the key to longevity on ANY Mechanical Device. Having a
Pressure Lubeoil and Filter System increases the Oil change Period form
50-100 Hours, to 200 Hours, or once a Year, which ever comes first, on
the Onan Engines, and MOST other 4 Cycle Gasoline Fueled ICE's.
Converting to Dry Gas Fuel can increase that to maybe 300 Hours, BUT,
remember that LubeOil, is the cheapest Insurance MOney can Buy....
Very Few of the classic Opposed Twin Onans are Magneto Ignition, so in
most cases, the Points are located on the top of the Engine near the
Carb. This class of Onan Gensets are KNOWN for their reliability, and
long Lifetimes, (10K Operational Hours) IF the OEM Periodic Maintainance
is done. The problems come when some owners just think they can store
them away, for years, sometimes, and then drag them out, blow the dust
off, and expect them to start and run, 24/7/Days or Weeks with no
issues.... That expectation, is just plain stupid, for ANY ICE, not
just Onans. If you can't, or don't, do the Periodic Maintainance, don't
expect to have power, when the Grid goes down..... and that classes you
as a "FlatLander".... "City Boy" for you Red Neck Types....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

It sounds to me like the Onans have many advantages and few disadvantages.
I may be needing something in the 5K range in the near future so thanks for
all the info.