Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Kilz Latex Primer - Holdout On Tannin And Knots

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:41:59 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have changed my preference in primers and stain blocker to the
Zinnser line. I can spot coat knots with the WB stuff, then come back
and shoot their BIN from my compressor powered cup gun. BIN is
shellac based with some pigment, but my cup gun shoots it out like
glass, unthinned with a 1.4 mm tip. My primer gun is a cheapie low
air consumption 20 oz gravity feed from HF that works like a champ.
The BIN cleans up easily very from the gun and equipment with
anhydrous alcohol.

If you have some of the newer growth cedar that is extremely porous, I
would suggest you look at the Sherwyn Williams Pro Block exterior
rated line. It is roll and brush only, but when I thinned it to see
how much solid material was in it (I used it to seal oak cabinets in a
kitchen and it filled most of the woodgrain!) there was so much solid
material in it it actually dried to a crust in the bottom of my test
jar.

I use the same brush and roll method I described for WB KILZ when
applying, but like the results of the SW product much better for its
filling effect. It seems (no empirical evidence) to adhere better
than the KILZ products, too.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pdf/...tion-guide.pdf

Robert

I decided to follow your lead and try out the Zinsser products. I'm
using the B-I-N Shellac-Base Primer-Sealer-Stain Killer from a shaker
can to spot prime the knots. Going over that with their Cover Stain
High Hide Oil-Based Primer-Sealer-Stain Killer applied with a roller
and back dragged. Their tech sheets seem to show that this
combination has the best shot at holding back the knots and the tannin
but we'll see. I'm only doing two pilasters for now and I'll get to
look at them sit out in the weather for a week or so before I do the
other 16 pieces.

These pieces are probably going to be blue - at least these
experimental pieces will start out blue and where they wind up depends
on management (wife) not labor (me).

Thanks again, Robert.

Regards,

Tom Watson