Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Valuation of a 'ransom strip'?

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:52:12 +0100 Doctor Drivel wrote :
"Our housing compares poorly by international standards too. Britain has
some of the smallest and oldest housing in Europe, and what is being
built now is even smaller than the existing stock."

Well Boris is persuaded ...

"Boris Johnson calls for London homes to be 10 per cent larger

The housing industry and architects have welcomed the London Housing
Design Guide, published last week by London mayor Boris Johnson’s office,
despite some feeling that new proposals on space standards do not go far
enough.

The guidelines, unveiled on 8 July, mean that all publicly funded homes
built in the capital from 2011 will be 10 per cent larger than the famed
1961 Parker Morris standard. ..."

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/5205192.article

For myself I certainly wouldn't rush to give up my 26th floor flat here in
Melbourne, but then I have got 96m2 to myself - probably what Barratt
would make a 4-bed house of. And, Dave, a park across the road.

Balcony view:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/...886a1600_o.jpg

Tower blocks work brilliantly with security, good maintenance and the
right occupancy, all of which the UK got so wrong in the 1960s.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com