Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default New idea for work bench?

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:35:39 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 01:47:26 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

I hear the Hornady powder measure is better, Can it be used instead of
Dillon's?

I don't know. I use a Dillon Square Deal. Got a heckuva deal on it
and it's met my needs very nicely. The powder measure on it works
well enough as doesn't matter for handgun ammo. It keeps a tolerance
of 0.1 grain or so and I don't load handgun ammo anywhere near max
pressure so 0.1 grain is plenty close enough for me.

I use a Rockchucker for rifle ammo and I weigh every charge.

The guys at the shop are spitting out ideas about how they want to fully
automate. Can they hit 3,600/hr? I don't know HOW they ever got the
idea...wink,wink! It has nothing to do with shooting anymore, it's
something else.

One round per second seems quite realistic when everything is going
right.

Some keys to this will be:

* getting brass to feed so it's positioned perfectly every time
* getting bullets to feed so they're positioned perfectly every time
* sensing primer misfeeds. When pulling the handle, those are sensed
by feel. It's important to sense this or you may have a lot of ammo
to disassemble upon inspection.

When doing it by hand with my SD, it seems the faster I try to go the
longer it takes because I have more problems to deal with. If I just
set an easy, steady pace of maybe 200 rounds per hour, it goes very
smoothly without problems. I seldom load more than 200 rounds at a
time and I don't mind spending an hour doing it.