Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default How big should a lathe chuck guard be?

In article
,
David41616 wrote:

Swing does not really have much to do with the issue.

Using the largest chuck, back out the jaws until they have about half
engagement in the scroll or worm and measure that. I would go about 2"
bigger diameter than that for a 1" clearance in the worst case when
holding a large diameter. That measurement may be pretty close to the
face plate diameter.

This implies that the 6" radius guard is correct. OK.

Personally those splash guards are more trouble then they are worth
unless you are doing a lot of production turning with flood coolant.
But each to his own.

I am not doing production, but I am gearing up for flood cooling, as it
seems to work far better than anything else.

Joe Gwinn