Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA[_2_] AA[_2_] is offline

Default Valuation of a 'ransom strip'?

On 14 July, 19:40, Lobster wrote:
Bit OT but I'm sure within this group's expertise...

My parents have recently been approached by their next-door neighbour
who wishes to buy a strip off the end of my parent's garden, presumably
with a view to gaining rear access to their property.

My parents just *might* be interested in doing this. *One of several
questions raised, though, is how would you put a valuation on this bit
of land? From memory, my guess is that the land would be of no
particular use to anybody else; ie not large enough to build a separate
property on. *So I really it's a case of how badly does this guy want
the land, and how much my parents would miss it versus how much they'd
like the cash realised... but where on earth do you start in terms of
coming up with a figure for something like this? *My parents (and I)
literally don't know whether 100, 1000, or 100,000 GBP would be the sort
of expected value. *Is it something an impartial professional can advise
on? *Or is it simply a case of my parents coming up with a figure they
could live with, and the neighbour liking it or lumping it?

Thanks
David

Bearing in mind the `value` may be more than money, you have to
enforce any restrictive covenant you may try to introduce to the deal,
building work and subsequent higher density housing may have a
negative affect on property`s current value.

Reading Festival was for many years organised by a couple who rebuffed
the advances of Mr Vince Power`s Mean Fiddler organisation, Mean
Fiddler run many festivals now, including a large stake in
Glastonbury.
One year the couple announced they would again be running Reading
Festival, Mr Power also announced that he would be running that years
Reading Festival.
The couple argued that they had organised infrastructure, advertising
and booked the bands.
Mr Vince Power announced that he had taken on an exclusive lease to
the farmland that allowed access to the site.
Mean Fiddler still runs the Reading Festival.

The monetary value of the land may be entirely unrelated to its size.

Adam