Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Valuation of a 'ransom strip'?

On Jul 14, 7:40*pm, Lobster wrote:
Bit OT but I'm sure within this group's expertise...

My parents have recently been approached by their next-door neighbour
who wishes to buy a strip off the end of my parent's garden, presumably
with a view to gaining rear access to their property.

My parents just *might* be interested in doing this. *One of several
questions raised, though, is how would you put a valuation on this bit
of land?

When I was in a similar position (wanting to buy access from a
neighbour in order to build a separate house on the bottom of my
garden). I was told that I should expect to pay 10-30% of the
increase in value of my land that resulted.

In the end it turned out to be not worth doing so I didn't take it
further.

Robert