Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default plumbing: how tight should you have to crank a union

"dpb" wrote in message
Chuck wrote:
I got a union to help connect up a whole house filter since the filter
has threaded inlets and it had some elbows nearby. I figured this
would make it possible to remove stuff later since I could unscrew
things without cutting all the pipe. The thing is, this stinking union
will not stop leaking at the compression spot. I've cranked it down
almost to the limits of what I'm capable of doing. Is this right? Is
it normal to crank the snot out of these things, or do I have a faulty
union or something?

I went up to my cabin and turned on the water only to find bursts in two
places. Went to Home Depot, and bought something called Shark Bite, IIRC.
It worked. I had to put one compression 90 ball valve in as it was less
than half a Shark Bite 90 valve. We'll see. But the stuff was incredibly
easy to work with.

Steve