Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_14_] Chuck[_14_] is offline

Default plumbing: how tight should you have to crank a union

Rudy wrote:

The thing is, this stinking union will not stop leaking at the
compression spot. I've cranked it down almost to the limits of
what I'm capable of doing. Is this right? Is it normal to crank
the snot out of these things, or do I have a faulty union or
something?

Metal or PVC ? Is there a slot machined in there for an "O" ring ?

Metal. Looks like brass with a copper pipe.

Interesting about the lubrication. I had pipe dope on it the first
time, from sweating the pipe, and I removed it the second try. I've
torqued the heck out of it now and it _might_ be sealed. I'll wait
overnight to know for sure. If it's still leaking I'll try some WD-40
and/or permatex. Thanks.