Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing: how tight should you have to crank a union

My heating and AC boss used to dose unions with WD-40 or
equivilant. So the threads would slip instead of tighten and
jam up.

Plumber friend of mine used to dose the threads and mating
surface with Rectorseal #5 for sealing effect.

One of t hose two should do it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chuck" wrote in message
I got a union to help connect up a whole house filter since
the filter
has threaded inlets and it had some elbows nearby. I
figured this
would make it possible to remove stuff later since I could
unscrew
things without cutting all the pipe. The thing is, this
stinking union
will not stop leaking at the compression spot. I've cranked
it down
almost to the limits of what I'm capable of doing. Is this
right? Is
it normal to crank the snot out of these things, or do I
have a faulty
union or something?