Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White Ian White is offline

Default Valuation of a 'ransom strip'?

A.Lee wrote:
Last year he came round, offered again to buy the land, as he couldnt
sell his house as the garden was too small. I said £20,000 - the value
the extra land would add to his house value according to a Surveyor
friend. He thought I was joking, and offered £3000 inc.costs.
I politely refused.

From experience, you could try for a deal on the basis of splitting that
anticipated 20k profit between both parties. Your parents can't expect
to get the whole 20k and leave him nothing; but neither can he expect to
walk away with the profits of a 17k/3k split... so somewhere in between
there's a deal to be made.

Your parents are in a strong position: does he want to sell that house
and get on with his life, or not?

--
Ian White