Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default car window seals

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
Last sunroof seal I got was £27. But I suspect the glass ones are
all bonded together, so you want a complete roof.

The sun roof can be un-bolted from the mechanism. The glass has a
metal rim around it that is bonded / part of the glass. This bit is
prone to rusting. Then there is a rubber seal that wraps round and
engages with the metal part and this is all that forms the seal (I
think).

Right - same as mine, except mine is an all steel type. As I said this
doesn't form a perfect seal - only stops most of the water getting
in. If there are leaks inside the car there's something wrong with
the tray beneath or the drains - unless the seal is missing totally.
How about checking a breakers? They're not exactly rare cars.

But, as Dave P said, most leaks are down to blocked drain pipes. The
seals are never perfect. If you can't be doing with fixing that, I'd
go down the mastic / gaffa tape route. There's a cheap non-setting
mastic used for caravans called Carafax IDL 99 which would seal it
up but not preclude a proper repair at a later date.

Ideally, I would like to get the car to my house, as I have a Rover
trained man at hand. Even he can't find a suplier of the seal.

I think that Schlegel used to do the profiles for Rover. I could be wrong.

http://www.schlegel.com/Trans_Detail.asp?pageID=4